This problem started after I let the battery in my M17x run dead a couple days ago. Now when I press the power button, the leftmost fan whirs very loudly and the keyboard lights up, but the screen stays blank until I remove the battery/power cord. There's no backlight, no sounds, nothing on the screen at all. I've tried taking the battery out, doing a deep reset, attempting to start the BIST, pretty much everything I can think of, but it just doesn't work.
In case you need more details, the problem is pretty much exactly the same as the one described here: http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19462593.aspx
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I need my laptop operational again as soon as possible.
Try doing a complete power drain, here is the precedure
1. Disconnect power cord and remove battery.
2. Turn laptop over and remove rear cover (two screws).
3. Find a small battery in the shape of a coin and disconnect from motherboard ( It should be just beside the center cooling fan).
4. Leaving everything disconnected turn the laptop over and hold down the power button (alien head) and count slowly to 20
5. Turn laptop over, reconnect EVERYTHING and try switching the laptop on with battery and power cord connected
Hello Lucky Mouse,
Follow the steps from this link to diagnose your system.
I've literally done everything listed there already. Nothing shows up on an external monitor, I can't adjust the brightness because the screen literally does not come on. And the BIST can't be accsessed, because once again nothing shows up on the screen.
I sent you a friend request, please accept it and send me a PM with your service tag, phone number, and the link for this thread so I can review your case.
What's the model of your system?
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: