Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2014 00:00

M17x R3 Display Problems

Hi All

I recently found that when booting up, my display would work fine right up until Windows boots up and then the screen goes black, the back-light remains illuminated but there is no display. When I use the FN + F6 key to set to 'Duplicate' or 'Extend' my display comes back but will NOT work when set to 'Disconnect Projector', when I set this the screen goes black, no back-light and FN + F6 no longer works.

When I snoop around in the display settings, it says that my Laptop display is the primary display but that there is a VGA connection active as a secondary display. I have cleaned and reseated all the components and have cleaned out the ports as well as I can (Paintbrush and Methylated Spirits)

Does anybody know where to go from here or has had similar issues? My next plan is to re-install Windows and see if this is the problem?

3 Posts

December 21st, 2014 17:00

Hey dude....I had the same problem. 50% of the time (every time...lol) it booted up with the black screen.  I could hear the OS  load......sometimes the projector trick worked ...sometimes it didn't...I flashed the bios...reset the CMOS...reinstalled windows a dozen times...everything you could imagine. I was convinced it was a hardware issue...I noticed in the BIOS the integrated graphic card was not detected so I figured it was related to that....but found out that if you have the 3D NVidia video card that its normal........but now it looks like I have the fix.......the problem is ever driver that Nvidia came out with after ver. 337.88.....I installed 337.88 I have shut down a rebooted about 10 times today and no more black screen......I hope I am giving you an early xmas present...cause I feel your pain brother...........I spent like 2K on this laptop a few years back and was not ready to buy a new one.....good luck...and I would love to hear if this works for you.  All you have to do it go to the NVidia site...find driver 337.88 and do a clean install..NO UPGRADE.  Wish someone could have told that months ago!!!!!

6 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 14:00

Hi XTREEEM1

I am glad that you got to me before I went out and replaced my Graphics Card/Motherboard. I was at wits end adding monitors and what not trying to get around the problem. (Mind you, I haven't had a chance to replace the driver yet but I am a 'Glass half full' guy, haha) I will certainly get back to you on whether this works for me or not

Thanks again for the reply man, I was beginning to loose faith in the community being able to help!

6 Posts

Sweet, so the good news is that my display is now sorted... :) the bad news is, I hoped that the problem I had with hibernating my computer was because of the Display driver, but sadly not, so it looks like a Windows fix may still be in order.

But otherwise, thank you again, you are a legend!

3 Posts

Hey..just make sure its not a version that was released after 337.88...otherwise you are likely to encounter the same issue...and check clean install box.

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 19:00

What's the issue with hibernation mode?

6 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 20:00

When I put it into hibernate, it will boot up until just after the 'Resuming Windows' screen and then that's the end of it, screen goes black, no backlight, no response to any input, just need to force shutdown and delete the restoration data on reboot... no biggy though, just need to get hold of a copy on Win 7 and try the repair Windows option.. :P

No Events found!