Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2011 08:00

M17x R3 - Fan Control - Is there user access to adjust profile?

Does anyone know if there is way to create or adjust the fan control for the gpu and cpu in the M17x R3? What I notice is that the fans are completely off when performing low intensity load on the computer, such as web browsing. When the fans are completely off in this situation the cpu temp is ~44c and the gpu ~51C. The gpu fan does not start to move until in the mid 50s and I believe the cpu fans start to move around upper 40s.

I think it may be a good practice to have the fans moving sooner, especially when plugged in. I attempted to create a fan profile in the NVidia control panel, however, these adjustments for fan control are grayed out, and not accessible. I am running 285.79 and have the 580m gpu. Also, as a note on the GeForce drivers, I tried the beta 290.36, which installed ok, and ran well. However I did experience black screen from wakeup from both sleep and hibernate. I reverted back to 285.79 and this problem went away. Anyone else experience this issue and find a way to correct it?

Thanks!

0028.Sys Info.JPG

22 Posts

January 4th, 2012 10:00

Those are not high temperatures. Under load, My Alienware reaches 70-90 but thats only on extremely high requirement games. Your system can go upto around 100c without there being a problem. Most Graphics cards fans are automatic so they only speed up when they reach a certain temp. As for the cpu cooler with it. However, 40c is not a high temperature either that is about idle temperature for mine. However, I have an alienware desktop so this may not apply to you. However, In the command centre, There should be some thermal controls where you can change the speeds of some of the fans.  But yeah those temperature are not hot at all for a high end gaming computer. 

10 Posts

January 5th, 2012 10:00

Thanks for the reply.

I agree, the temps I am seeing are within range.  

I looked in the command center, and no adjustments for gpu and cpu fan adjustment is available.  Nothing in bios either.  Nivida is grayed out.  Looks like Dell does not want to give endusers this option.  Seems odd to me.  On a machine like the M17xr3, which has overclocking enabled, you would think allow the user access to fan control.  

22 Posts

January 5th, 2012 11:00

Hello MSI afterburner should allow you to change your gpu fan speed thats how i do it. downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php  scroll down and click i agree and the download will begin. As for the CPU cooler unless your warranty has expired I would not really mess with that as im not sure if it will void the warranty but the GPU fan you should be fine to mess with.

No Events found!