Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2013 14:00

M17x-R3 SSD drive compatibility with eSATA port?

hi!

i'm owning m17x r3 and i want to connect little ssd drive to use it with RST for speeding up loading time and so on. obviously, m17xr3 has eSATAp port and i have a cord for this. i was unsuccessful with connecting kingston v300 sdd drive using it (not detected in bios and so on). but my other sata disc (toshiba 320gb) works well with this cord. also, kingston ssd is detected when inserted at port 0 or 1 inside notebook. obviously it's some kind of individual incompability case with this 2 devices. what it might be? e.g. toshiba drive is sata2, kingston is sata3.
maybe it's something about controller (which is SandForce on kingston)? may be i should use marvell, samsung or philson? i'm asking because it will be kinda improperly to break one-off packages in a shop one by one and test SDDs, whether they working or not. i think they will not allow me to. i suppose i have now one try to choose. now it's between toshiba, corsair, plextor and silicone power, samsung.. intel is pretty expensive for gb. so what external SSDs are working with m17x r3 from  your experience?

pardon my english btw, it's not my native language.

unfortunately it's mostly not an option to install ssd internally, i have 2x750gb samsung ssds that are full and i just don't want to separate one of them from being the unified part of notebook. all data is needed all the time. u know is something like psychological factor. at other hand i can demount bluray drive, but in that case i will have to disassemble whole notebook which is pretty inconvinient too. by the way, there is an other issue: RST is not available even if kingston is mounted instead of hdd #2 in port 1. there is simply no "acelleration" tab (like i have seen at screenshots). at least, if RST will not work at external ssd, i will move my MacOS virtual machine to it so it to work faster. so i'm askin, what SSD will surely work at my eSATA :))

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Not sure why the SSD would work internally and not externally. As far as Intel-RST-Acceleration ... the eSata port might be a different non-Intel controller (dis-qualifying it).

How big is Kingston SSD? How many 2.5" drives can you install internally?

I wouldn't bother with Intel RST Acceleration (it's not as good as you might think). Just install SSD internally, install Windows-7 to SSD, and boot from it. Install programs on spinning drive if they won't fit on SSD.

November 10th, 2013 15:00

installing sdd internally is mostly not an option. i have 2 x 750 samsung hdds and i need  all data all the  time. also you know is something like psychological factor: take a part away from uniform piece of hardware that is in a form i continuously need. at other hand i can demount bluray drive, but in that case i will have to disassemble whole notebook which is pretty inconvenient too. by the way, there is an other issue: RST is not available even if kingston is mounted instead of hdd2 in port #1. there is simply no tab "acelleration"(like i have seen) at screenshots. at least, if RST will not work at external ssd, i will move my MacOS virtual machine to it so it to work faster. so i'm askin, what SSD will surely work at my eSATA :)) and yes, i turned RAID on, there were no partitions on SSD and stuff. but "accelerated" tab was absend

November 10th, 2013 17:00

and why are you saying eSATA port has separate non-intel controller?

is it even logical to install a add separate controller, when motherboard may handle it all?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 11th, 2013 00:00

I said it MIGHT be (might explain why it doesn't work).

Good luck. Hopefully someone can help you. 

November 11th, 2013 03:00

sry my memory had set me up. your assumption is pretty realistic

yeah, i hope too -__-

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 13th, 2013 14:00

I wouldn't bother with Intel RST Acceleration (it's not as good as you might think).

Just install SSD internally, install Windows-7 to SSD, and boot from it. Install programs on spinning drive if they won't fit on SSD.

Again, I suggest ...

SSD-0 (internal) - Boot, OS, main programs

HDD-1 (internal) - Frequent data and VM Images

HDD-2 (eSata external) - Seldom data and VM Images

No Events found!