rx-7pr
3 Argentium

M17x-R3, Windows Updates GPU issues, BSOD

i have a m17xr3 that hasnt worked in like 2 years because the video stopped working for some reason..well i was going to buy and new one and told the old one out just to look at it...i took it apart checked it out and put it back together well low and behold the video started working..was able to reformat the drive and everything work perfect until i start doing windows updates...as soon as it does the windows updates it starts to get blue screens or it will not restart on its own or the screen turns black after the inital windows screen and reformatted 4 times and everytime windows updates starts to run it stops working how its suppose to any ideas why it would stay at a black screen or just not restart? really need help here anyone else ever had an issue with these?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
philquad
1 Copper

RE: I NEED HELP Please...m17xr3

if its only the updates, it may be a graphics driver thats making the resolution too high for the monitor

boot into safe mode by hitting F8 on startup, set resolution to 1024x768 eg then reboot to windows, does that work?

i noticed the cards in these thing have very high res, maybe too high for the monitor

2. turn windows updates off after install.

0 Kudos
rx-7pr
3 Argentium

what i have done so far is i did another fresh install but i turned off the card reader cause i heard that would give you the blue screen and i didn't install the audio drivers neither because i had sound when you did fresh install then i have turned off the auto updates and then went to nvidia downloaded the new drivers for it went into safe mode and installed that as a clean driver install under custom so far i havn't gotten any more but that doesn't solve the issue of me not being able to do the windows updates lol....but so far no blue screens. 

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

i didn't install the audio drivers neither because i had sound when you did fresh install

Likely because Windows found a suitable generic driver from local driver cache or Windows Update. This is often a "lighter" driver (might even be called something like "Microsoft HD Audio") and, as long as it provides what you need, works fine.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
rx-7pr
3 Argentium

i am really afraid to do a windows update for fear of those blue screens. i know i have to but i don't want to format this thing again for like the 8th time. before windows update so far no bsod i will try them today and see what happens....but to me it has to be something it downloads that it doesn't like.

0 Kudos

RE: M17x-R3, Windows Updates GPU issues, BSOD

If that is specifically what's causing the BSOD I would simply skip them. Or you could try doing them manually, at least the security updates.

Alienware-L_Porras
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos
rx-7pr
3 Argentium

RE: M17x-R3, Windows Updates GPU issues, BSOD

well ever since i did the video drive upgrade in safe mode i have been able to go through windows updates with no issues...

0 Kudos