Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2015 09:00

M17x R3 upgrade

I currently own a M17x R3 laptop with GeForce GTX 560M graphics and its throttling on most games i play. Would it be possible to upgrade the graphics card (I currently have NBD support with premium phone support)?

If so:

a) Would i have to send the laptop away for it to be upgraded?

b) Could a tech assistant come and replace it for me?

c) Could you just send the graphics card to me and I make the replacement by myself?

Also I would be interested in either replacing or adding an SSD into my system (I have a particular one in mind). The same questions apply as above for the graphics card.

671 Posts

February 11th, 2015 15:00

Premium phone support indicates that our phone agents will do their best effort to help you out on the phone to the best of their capabilities. They will guide you over into opening up the computer and locate the video card.

The Next Business Day Warranty will cover a technician visit over to your house or premises to replace hardware issues.

So,
A- No, usually we send the computers to our repair facility in case there is an overly difficult hardware issue.
B- A tech can assist you over the phone to replace the video card, assuming you bought with DELL,
C- Usually you get asked if you just want the video card sent to your house or premises whenever you speak with a sales rep.

I hope this answers your question

7 Posts

February 12th, 2015 08:00

Ok that sounds great, could you take a look at an excel graph I created from MSI afterburner readings and give me your opinion on whether the GPU is outdated and replacing it would help.

A few things to rule out:

a) Drivers are updated.

b) I have the game optimised from the NVIDIA geforce experience.

c) This happens on multiple games, not just one specific one.

d) I have run the system diagnostic software and no faults were found.

Page 1 will be the raw data with minimums, maximums and averages calculated.

Page 2 will be the graph representation.

The game runs at 10-25 fps for the short 30 min gaming session, this was straight after a reboot with nothing else running in the background.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Attachment

671 Posts

February 12th, 2015 14:00

There's a benchmark called - Heaven.

It's the first result when you look for: Heaven Benchmark in Google.

Try running that benchmark and report back to me.

7 Posts

February 13th, 2015 03:00

Ok so in  Heaven.

With the settings unaltered:

DirectX 11

Quality: High

Tessellation: Disabled

Stereo 3D: Disabled

Multi-monitor: Disabled

Anti-aliasing: Off

Full Screen: checked.

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

I also have have 3D MARK, so i ran that aswell if it helps.

5010 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M(1x) and Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor

Graphics Score
Physics Score
Combined Score
p.s. i should note that sometimes during intense gaming sessions my CPU temp rises to ~92C as it did during the 3D Mark test.

671 Posts

February 13th, 2015 14:00

That CPU temperature might be the problem.

Could I ask you to run Heaven (windowed mode) one more time with HWMonitor and take a look at the temperature of both CPU and GPU.

That way we can pin-point if it is only an issue with the CPU or if it's affecting both of them.

7 Posts

February 14th, 2015 04:00

I linked two pictures( as i couldnt attach them as they were too large to upload)  one from the HWMonitor while running Heavens as requested and 1 older one from the summer from a 2 hour+ gaming session i did with HWMonitor open.

Heaven's:

http://i.imgur.com/IJISThl.jpg

Old gaming session:

http://i.imgur.com/GLODH2W.jpg

p.s. its noteworthy that the gaming session was done in the summer.

p.s.2 i do feel a noticeable drop in performance when the CPU does get hot, but i'm not happy with the performance even before at the beginning of the session when the cpu is "cold".

7 Posts

February 18th, 2015 17:00

Bump

671 Posts

February 19th, 2015 12:00

The Heaven Bechmark seems to be OK.

Have a look at this article, maybe you'll be able to find something we both might have missed.

By the way, have you re-pasted your laptop?

7 Posts

February 19th, 2015 12:00

I have already done all those steps. It should have been repasted around 1 year ago when the laptop was serviced (by DELL) and the motherboard and hard drive replaced.

7 Posts

February 20th, 2015 15:00

I might be being very thick about this but i cant find how to PM you, i sent you a friend request with all the information attached.

671 Posts

February 20th, 2015 15:00

Well, given that case.

Do you mind sending me your Service tag via PM, let me see what else we can do about this case.

No Events found!