Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2015 23:00

M17x R4 WiFi dropouts - Killer Network Manager

Hi

I have had an ongoing issue with my WiFi connection over the last couple of years.

Problem is that my WiFi keeps dropping out making doing things on this PC almost impossible at this point. I have contacted Dell re. this issue several times only to be told "it is your ISP or your Router/Modem" when there is no possibility it could be the issue considering;

1. I have moved cities and the issue still continues

2. I had a technician go out to the nearest exchange and confirm there is NO problem with the network

3.  I have spent well over $600 AUD to buy top end modems and this issue STILL continues.

I am completely over the generic "download this from our website and install it to fix the problem" answers with no solution.

I have tried several suggested solutions on this site including removing the KNM application, updating drivers, updating the BIOS, changing power management settings, changing channels so on and so forth with STILL no resolution.

From what I can gather, Killer Network Manager/Adapter seems to be the culprit here. I had spent the extra $$ to get a better quality network adapter/manager and all this thing has done was cause me and many other users on this forum apparently, problems from day one. 

I do not know where to go from here as it seems all my options have been exhausted and Dell can not give me a straight answer as to what the issue is.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can go with this... I'm pulling my hair out in frustration

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 7th, 2015 16:00

Hello,

We are sorry to hear about this inconvenience. It does seem like you have done the recommend troubleshooting procedures for this type of problem. Considering everything that has already been done, it sounds more like a hardware problem. Have we already replaced your Wifi card and antennas?

118 Posts

May 7th, 2015 20:00

I have had several notebooks from different manufacturers that have had the Killer network adapters.  I have never been impressed and have had the same types of issues you mentioned.  Have you tried closing the Killer software?  There should be an icon in the task bar.  Right-click and choose close (might be exit).

From what I have read, the problem is in how the software attempts to manage the bandwidth and turning it off allows the network adapter to work without restrictions.

4 Posts

May 14th, 2015 10:00

Hi

I to had one of these in mtyM17 and had trouble with dropping out. When I installed itunes the program cound not connect to the itunes shop. After many frustrating hours I decided it must be the Wifi card and changed to a centrino-ultimate-n-6300. Never had a problem since.

3 Posts

May 14th, 2015 16:00

I have since been in contact with a Dell representative and ran through a full System health check and found no problems. I then allowed the rep to remote access my computer to watch them do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the Wifi adapter (this was done via a WIRED connection and had NO problems).

I had informed the rep that I had already done this a dozen times over yet they still insisted on doing it. My problems still continue.

According to them, my next step is to do a complete reinstall of Windows....Which I do not want to do as everything is pointing toward a hardware problem.

I can't afford to go out and buy an new Network card & antenna currently as I am a Uni student and I'm about to go into surgery in the coming week/s.

Dell have also informed me they cannot keep my case open for much longer...which is sad...

4 Posts

May 15th, 2015 09:00

Yep, its never Dell fault. [:)]

You can pick up one of the intels on Amazon for about £18.00, it solved all my problems and its quite easy to install. If you can find the money it will be well worth it. It works just as well I can play online over the wireless network with out any problems at all.

3 Posts

May 15th, 2015 18:00

Haha apparently not.

Thanks Binky6. I think that's the way i'll go.

Sad to say, I am done with Dell/Alienware and will next time take my money elsewhere. I will be actively advising friends/family to stay away from their products.  This is clearly not an isolated incident yet they continue to provide a generic "read from this script" solution that mind you, doesn't seem to work and voids them of any responsibility.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to which Network Card/Wifi Card I should be purchasing for my system? Specs are as follows;

System Model: M17xR4
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.72.24A12
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory:32768MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 680M

Thanks!

4 Posts

May 16th, 2015 01:00

Hi MVpatski.

The one in my massage above in the specs bit at the bottom works fine and has given me no trouble. Only differance is it does not have a fancy name like Bigfoot Killer but it works excellent.

I to would go else where next time as for the same money you can get a more basic looking case with far better components inside. All you would miss are the lights.

I installed it with no problems and the Drivers are on the Intel site.

Good luck

327 Posts

May 16th, 2015 16:00

you are having problems with your antivirus. just uninstall it and try

No Events found!