Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2014 08:00

M17x R4 crashing unusable

Hello, 

For around a week,  my 17x r4 has been crashing uncontrollably... It used to be restricted to games... From anywhere between ten minutes to an hour into my games- I get a black screen and the laptop makes a jarring/grinding noise. The other kind of crash which only started yesterday,  sees a black screen but with sound running in the background. This kind of crash has happened in game and while browsing while the former occurs almost exclusively in games except for one occasion. 

I was told to clean my fans... All done,  took the laptop apart and removed every speck of dust I could find...better temps but no change in crashes. 

My hhard drive crashed early last year when I was still within warranty- that's the only serious  issue I've had until now. 

The laptop is currently unusable as it crashes within thirty minutes of booting (usually). CCurrently using my phone to type -. - 

Someone also suggested that it could be my gpu resetting... 

Please help... 

Running a 1tb m17x r4 with 8gb ram and a 2gb gtx 675m. Windows 7

13 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 09:00

I forgot to mention, while watching a movie and transferring files to my phone... The screen went black but the sounds from the movie kept albeit a little choppy... But the files continued to be copied... The movie was 80% copied when the crash occurred i kept trying to watch (on my phone)... And the copying kept continuing as every second I could watch a little farther into it on my phone until the copying was complete around two minutes after the crash. 

13 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 09:00

Blue screen bccode 116 is what my laptop finally threw up after the umpteenth crash!

1.8K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 13:00

Hi ashu711,

The BSOD error code 0x00000116 indicates a video card problem. Try the troubleshooting steps in this article and if the issue persists, the video card will most likely have to be replaced. 

Let me know how it goes!

13 Posts

July 24th, 2014 10:00

Hello, I tried rolling back the drivers to the Dell recommended ones ...the laptop didn't crash until around an hour ago...I think I'll need to replace it. Can I upgrade to the 680m? 

1.8K Posts

July 25th, 2014 13:00

Yes, you can! Here's the part number:

KXXC4  GeForce GTX 680M, 2GB.

You can contact Tech Support to check if the video card is available for sale. 

No Events found!