Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2015 18:00

M17x R4 fan running high after recent update

After a windows update last night the fan started running about 2-3 minutes after startup as if i was gaming on a hot day. Really blowing hard and making a lot of noise. CPU pretty idle around 1%.

Rebooted about 10 times and occurred every time.

System history in PC checkup showed a bunch of new services were installed:

DDDriver

DellDataVault

DellDataVaultWiz

DellProf

SupportAssistAgent

Not sure what any of that is, and didn't ask for it, but whatever.

Anyway, watched task manager and noticed that when the fan goes ballistic and exe had popped up with DataVault in its name. So disabled the two DellDataVault services and problem solved!  My nice quiet machine is back.

Just wanted to let Dell know so hopefully they can fix it properly.

Cheers

1 Message

February 12th, 2015 18:00

This helped me so much. I am a point and click chick and was dealing with sound and video lag that sounded much like your digital signal on tv when its bad. I went in and took out the Dell support assist recent updates and the problem is gone. Thanks.

23 Posts

February 12th, 2015 19:00

You can disable the automatic updates in the settings of the Support Assist or PC Checkup app. It's under the Privacy tab. First thing I did after I removed all the recent updates. No more surprises from Dell.

5 Posts

February 12th, 2015 21:00

So glad i found this. 

Uninstalling fixed it for me. Wow, this was driving me nuts!!!

February 13th, 2015 01:00

I just want to thank everyone in this post.

I uninstalled the Dell SupportAssistAgent and the SupportAssist.

Restarted my PC

And so far no fan going 1,000 miles per hour.

If it comes by, I'll try disabling the Dell Data Vault.

Has anyone else tried to report this discrepancy w/ Dell yet?

109 Posts

February 13th, 2015 01:00

Dell Support Assist has done this to others. See en.community.dell.com/.../19617463

1 Message

February 13th, 2015 07:00

Which one is the Support Assist? My husband is the computer guy but he's out. I have a list of all that was updated how can I sort out which one? Thanks!

February 13th, 2015 07:00

Thanks all for investigating and posting some resolutions. Here are the steps in case someone has the same issue:

1 - click start - type pc checkup - click it - it should run support assist

2 - check system updates

3 - you should see DellDataVault etc. among other dell programs

4 - click start - click control panel - programs

5 - scroll down to dell support assist - uninstall

6 - scroll down to dell support assist agent - uninstall

7 - restart and the problem should have been fixed

Ideally, I would have liked to know how to disable data vault, so if someone can post that, it would be awesome. That way you dont have to uninstall support assist. Can anyone also post whether uninstalling support assist could affect the system in future. Do we really need it?

Hope this helps.

OWL

February 13th, 2015 10:00

In addition to those steps, I'll add, to anyone wishing to keep alien autopsy, assuming you've restored your computer to a point prior to its removal,

- open PC Checkup and/or alien autopsy

- click the gear-shaped settings icon on the top right of the screen.  

- On the left side, find and click the "personalization" tab.  

- Inside of that tab, you'll find a couple check-boxes.  Uncheck the box after Dell's auto-update narrative.

That should do it.  You should be made aware of updates as they're published, but do not have to approve them.  I'm disappointed in their update summary, which doesn't give a very good indication of what the update is supposed to do.

5 Posts

February 13th, 2015 10:00

Just wanted to throw my few cents in.  I was having a problem where my Optical Drive was accessed every few minutes.  Was really driving me nuts.  Took me an hour of process explorers and WMI logging to determine the issue was with the New Support Assistant.  Dell Data Vault is still installed as well as the monthly performance check.  I did uninstall the Support Assistance portion and the problem was solved after the aforementioned detective work.

The Support Assistant won't even let you sign in as it says there isn't an internet connection and then it freezes.  Dell dropped a real bomb with this one.  Glad I haven't had to put up with fans running crazy as others have reported.

February 13th, 2015 12:00

First they stick us with a sound issue that will never ever be resolved  properly (no audio output device installed, just have to restart until it works) and now they are trying to break the cooling system for our hot running laptops.  I will never buy another Dell product again.

I'm about ready to start a class action l a w s u i t (there website doesn't allow that word to show - I WONDER WHY) over the sound issue.  There's MORE than enough proof of it all over this website and others and we all deserve to be paid for dealing with it for the entire time we own our laptops.

February 13th, 2015 13:00

Flash the bios update to correct the audio issue, repeat as needed.

February 13th, 2015 13:00

Hi Guys,

We are checking into this

Hopefully I will have a solution soon

1 Message

February 13th, 2015 14:00

Thanks very much for the info. I was in a bit of a panic, thought it was a motherboard temp sensor or something. You saved me a lot grief, thanks again for sharing.

PS I just signed up to this forum now so I could show my appreciation ;-)

1 Message

February 13th, 2015 15:00

Removing it worked for me too thank you so much!

February 13th, 2015 17:00

I had a similar problem with my Dell XPS L702X laptop. In my case when playing audio and video it would seem to hiccup occasionally or make a buzzing sound. Also my mouse would momentarily freeze on screen. It would do this every 1-2 minutes. After several hours of troubleshooting I found that stopping the Dell Data Vault service solved my issues.

I contacted Dell technical support and they said that this service is only used if you use backup service with Dell. So unless you use Dell backup service it is safe to simply stop the Dell Data Vault service and change it's startup type to disabled. I also have a service called Dell Data Vault Wizard which I have stopped and disabled, although it didn't seem to cause any problems for me. But since I don't need it why take up system resources?

I am also not pleased that this was installed without my knowledge or consent and I told the tech support person the same. By now Dell must be starting to get the message about this issue and hopefully will be able to resolve the problem soon.

No Events found!