Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2010 15:00

M17xR1 and Power Consumption - This is getting ridiculous.

I purchased my Alienware M17x within a few days of it being available to the market. It contains two GTX 280M's and a QX9300 and several other upgrades. There is a large discussion going on over at the Notebook Review Forum about the issue I am going to be discussing, and my current situation within it.

The power that is supplied to the laptop when used with SLI or Crossfire setups and Quad Core processors simply is not enough to power all of the components properly and causes the graphics to stutter. Now, the first thing you'll say is "He may have the DPC latency issue", sadly this is not the case, for if it was that would be a relatively easy fix.

For reference, there has been much progress on narrowing exactly what is happening with the power issue. http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/410440-m17x-stutter-86.html

This is the manufacturers fault, and a defect that is found in all M17xR1 setups that consume enough power. Recalls should really be in place for any consumers who purchased similar setups. This is not an assumption on what is causing the problem, this IS the problem. As a software/hardware engineer I have a fair amount of knowledge in regards to this matter (although I will not profess knowing everything) and Dell has been replacing people who request an upgrade to M17xR2 (which doesn't contain the issue) because they know this is the problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here is my specific issue:

I am currently out of warranty as of July 19th, 2010. The only reason that this applies at all is because I SHOULD have warranty however the incompetence of the customer service representative I dealt with told me that "there was an unresolved issue that would not allow him to extend my warranty" and that nothing could be done at the time of my call.

Now I believe one of two things should come of this,

A) Something needs to be done about me getting my warranty back [so that I don't have to pay the ridiculous price to buy a warranty while out of it]
B) A replacement should be given to those and myself as it has been a problem existant since first purchase and had it been caught, I could have replaced it while under warranty.

Do any of you have this problem? Because it would be reaffirming of the fact that all of ours should be replaced without question.

Thanks,

-Adam

No Responses!
No Events found!