wizwoz
1 Nickel

M17xR3 Nvidia 580m failure

Jump to solution

I've been unable to run my laptop on it's primary graphics card for sometime now, whenever I open a game with the Nvidia 580m active I blue screen almost immediately receiving the NTOSKRNL.exe BSOD. I spent a lot of time trying to find solutions from complete clean driver installs to the other week when I finally did a complete windows format and reinstall onto a new SSD. Yet I still get the same BSOD everytime I switch from the onboard intel GPU to the NVIDIA one, I'm at the end of my tether now and am wondering if my GPU is pooched?

I'd be massively thankful if anyone could shed any light on my problem or offer any advice.

Many Thanks

Warren

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Alienware-Natal
4 Germanium

Re: M17xR3 Nvidia 580m failure

Jump to solution

Hi Warren,

Update the system to the latest BIOS, here's the link for the download:

ALIENWARE M17XR3 A12 BIOS 

Then, disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS. 

It would also be a good idea to update drivers and the Video BIOS after that, here's an article for reference:

How to update the video BIOS of an nVIDIA video card in an Alienware M17x R3 and M18x computers?

Alienware-Natalia
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

wizwoz
1 Nickel

Re: M17xR3 Nvidia 580m failure

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response Natalia, I've updated the BIOS, video BIOS and installed the latest Nvidia drivers and everything appears to be working as it should. I've done some quick testing in games and ran 3dmark11 receiving an average score. The performance and stability issues appear to have gone thankfully.

However I couldn't find an option in the BIOS to disable the integrated graphics like you said, there doesn't appear to be any selectable option for this.

Thanks for the help

Warren

0 Kudos