Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 28th, 2012 20:00

M17xR4 Webcam Not Detected

Hi Everyone,

I have an R4 about 2 months old. I went to use the webcam recently and the webcam software advised the webcam was not detected. I hit FN+F9 and see the camera icon OSD go on and off. Even though it's on, it's still not detected. I went to the device manager and found there is no imaging device, so basically the camera is not in the system device listing. I rebooted several times insuring the FN+F9 was set to cam on but no success. Any help would be great.

M.Lopez

2.6K Posts

October 31st, 2012 06:00

Hi, 

Since the Bios is also up to date, I would like to inform you that we would have to replace the webcam.
If the computer has an active warranty, I'd request you to private message the system service tag number. To private message, click on my user name and click start conversation. I’d be glad to assist you further.

2.6K Posts

October 29th, 2012 00:00

Hello MLopez,

If the Webcam is not listed in Device Manager, it means that the webcam is not detected. I would suggest you to reseat the webcam module. Please perform the step if you are comfortable removing all the components. Refer to the following link for the Service Manual: 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Please ensure the following steps before removing the Camera Module:
   1. During installation or removal of any hardware, always ensure all data is backed up properly.
   2. Disconnect any telephone, network, or USB cables from the computer.
   3. Disconnect the computer and all attached devices from their electrical outlets.
   4. Remove the Battery
   5. Remove the Bottom Cover
   6. Remove the Keyboard Trim
   7. Remove the Keyboard
   8. Remove the Keyboard FPC
   9. Remove the LCD Assembly
  10. Remove the LCD Cover

Once all the components listed above are removed, disconnect the camera cable from the camera.

4807.camera1.jpg

Loosen the captive screw securing the camera to the LCD assembly.

7026.camera2.jpg

Remove the camera from the LCD assembly.

1373.camera3.jpg 

Once you have reseated the camera module , connect everything back, restart the computer and check the functionality.

I would also suggest updating the Bios to the latest version. Please refer to the following link for updating the latest Bios: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/alienware-m17x-r4?driverId=2FR62&osCode=W764&fileId=3077283971

Please check the functionality and write back to us with results, I’d be glad to assist further.

3 Posts

October 29th, 2012 17:00

I am not comfortable completely taking a 2 month old unit apart. I will request a service as there is an issue with the RAID (Cache drive) as well. Thank you.

2.6K Posts

October 30th, 2012 04:00

Hi MLopez,

It is fine if you are not comfortable re-seating the camera module. There is another option that we can try. I would suggest updating the Bios. Please refer to the link mentioned below to update the Bios to the latest version.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/alienware-m17x-r4?driverId=2FR62&osCode=W764&fileId=3077283971

After flushing BIOS the system would restart. Please check the functionality one the computer restarts and write back to, I'd be glad to assist further. 

3 Posts

October 30th, 2012 08:00

Thank you for the recommendation. Only problem is that my M17x R4 is already at Bios version A09 and i can't reflash a bios that is already up to date. Correct?

5 Posts

December 6th, 2012 18:00

I am havin the same issue with my webcam and the mic is not working. I have had the unit for less than a month and would like this issue resolved so I can enjoy the unit.

2.6K Posts

December 6th, 2012 23:00

Hello,

There are few steps I would suggest which would help us in fixing the issue. 

-- Run the Dell PC Diagnostics for Webcam .
-- You may also refer the article on Troubleshooting Webcam Issues for more details. 

I would also request you to help me with the system model. Please write back, would be glad to assist further.  

5 Posts

December 7th, 2012 00:00

Hello Alan

I have ran the diag and looked at the troubleshooting section and still nothing. In the control panel it does not show any imaging devices on the laptop.....its the MX17-R4

/r

TJ

2.6K Posts

December 7th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Thank you for replying. Since you have mentioned that the above mentioned steps did not work, I would suggest Updating BIOS to the latest version. 

**NOTE: Few things to ensure before updating the Bios is, the Ac Adapter should be plugged in and the battery should have minimum of 15% charge. No other external peripherals should be connected to the computer. Please ensure that the Bios update should not be interrupted else it would damage the motherboard. 

In case BIOS update doesn't work, try  reseating the webcam module. Please perform the step if you are comfortable removing all the components. Refer to the the Service Manual. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> The steps are mentioned with pictures in my earlier post.

Please try the steps and write back to us, would be glad to assist further. 

5 Posts

December 7th, 2012 03:00

Bios is updaed to A09 but still nothing. I have a 1year warranty on this unit. If I open it up will that void my warranty?

2.6K Posts

December 7th, 2012 21:00

Hi,

Performing the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the thread, would not void the warranty. 

December 8th, 2012 21:00

I had the same problem. Try using "FN  F9" to turn the camera back on.   :)

5 Posts

December 21st, 2012 02:00

Finally got around to performing these steps and I have to say this was easier than I expected. I did find out why my webcam and mic is not working.....they are not there. It looks as if whom ever refurbed this unit forgot to put the module back in. Is there a way to get one sent to me since the unit is still under warranty? Or do I have to come out of pocket for this?

5 Posts

December 22nd, 2012 08:00

Does anyone know the part number of the camera/mic assembly so I can order it off line. I tried to get it from tech support but since I am registered at my huse in europe they told me I have to get it from there. I explained to the guy that I work and actually live on a US military base in Afghanistan and if he could send the part there. Then he told me I have to for a ownership transfer to register it to the US base address so I try to do that and low and behold it does not give you the option to register at a FPO/APO address. So figured its easier and less hassle to buy one offline and install......so any one have the part number?

No Events found!