Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2015 02:00

M18X R1

My Alienware M18X R1 has started to produce a black screen. I have noticed that the area of the primary graphics card is very hot.

I have disassembled the laptop and checked the heatsinks. The primary GPU was completely dry, so I clean that up and re-pasted. I also used compressed air to clean the vent's and other areas where dust and hair may accumulate. Afterwards the laptop ran fine until now. I am back to square 1. I have also noticed that the fans do not seem to be increasing their RPM when things heat up. My laptop does sit on a cooling pad to help aid air flow.

Windows does not see any problems with my GPU's. I am in the process of looking at replacing the fans. I will later today re-flash the BIOS in case there is any corruption.

Has anyone else suffered this issue and found a way around to resolve it?

671 Posts

February 2nd, 2015 11:00

What if the problem resides on the CPU?
Have you checked the temperatures in both IDLE and whilst gaming?
I've heard of some similar issues, but they are usually fixed after a BIOS update or checking on the drivers.
Do you mind submitting a screenshot of your Device Manager with just the System Devices category expanded, please?

26 Posts

February 2nd, 2015 12:00

Hi Jose,

I have checked the CPU temperatures and they hover around 50 - 56 degrees.

I have updated drivers and also flashed the BIOS.

Here is the screenshot you requested:

Sys Devices.jpg

26 Posts

February 4th, 2015 06:00

An update:

I have since formatted my laptop and re-installed windows. The problem does not seem to be heat related. I could boot the laptop up and a black screen would remain. If windows does boot up it can happen at anytime. For example, I was using a program to update files and the screen went black.

Nothing specific seems to be causing the issue. Again I have checked hardware and no issues arise.  I have removed the CMOS battery and re-seated it today.

I do understand that if I want an answer to the issue then I may well have to send the laptop away for diagnosis, but I have the feeling such will already test what I have already conducted and i think that would be a waste of money.

Any idea's which may be the under lying issue?

671 Posts

February 4th, 2015 15:00

At this moment I'd try and call in for support. :(

I think the computer needs an examination from an hands-on tech.

26 Posts

February 4th, 2015 16:00

I do understand that an examination is required. I'm just trying to see if anyone would have an answer as to the most common cause of such an issue. I do appreciate that not all cases of such are the same.

I will get my laptop in for a check up the first moment I can. I will sort it out when I am back home as I am working away at this time.

26 Posts

February 5th, 2015 02:00

I think I have found the problem.

I noticed some pixelization on boot this morning. I have disabled the main GPU and so far everything has been fine. So it looks like I will have to replace the primary GPU.

26 Posts

February 5th, 2015 14:00

I have managed to fix the issue. I stripped my laptop down to check serial no's etc and I also pulled my GPU's and re-sat them. There has been no further issues since. I did think that my primary GPU was faulty, but turns out it's not. So all is good and thank you to those who answered my original post when I asked for help.

No Events found!