Highlighted
Ilgmars
1 Copper

M18x-R1, fans are not kicking in properly.

I believe problem started after i updated bios to 05 version. however before the update u could hear that sweet power of fans and be sure game runs on max fps when after update i experience some processor throttling, fps drops in games and it heats up a bit . any ideas or solutions to this? 

ps. i managed to get those fans kick in with third party software, however i have a feeling that one of the fans cant be controlled by the app(hwinfo).

ps. i blow the dust out every month or so .

thanks guys.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alienware-Naomi
4 Ruthenium

RE: Alienware m18xr1 fans are not kicking in properly.

Hi!

I recommend you go through the steps on this article. For overheating, use HWmonitor to check the CPU and GPU temperatures on idle and during stress, then post a reply with the results.

The Command Center controls the fans. You can also try a Power Drain (disconnect battery and AC adapter, then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds) and re-installing the application. 

Let me know how it goes!

Alienware-Naomi
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Ilgmars
1 Copper

RE: M18x-R1, fans are not kicking in properly.

had no time yet to check temps ... tried reinstalling command center, no use your link was for desktop systems only. reinstalled command center for my laptop and  i still dont have fan control in m18xr1.

the main problem i have is that the fans should kick in to the max like in "old" days when  i launch smth heavy ... i prefer well cooled system over quiet one. tried reinstalling from alienrespawn few weeks ago and no change.

any chance to downgrade bios?

also ty a lot lot answering me 🙂

0 Kudos
Alienware-Naomi
4 Ruthenium

Yes, you can downgrade the BIOS. Although, there's no guarantee of that fixing the problem so I don't recommend it. If the fans are not running properly it could cause overheating issues. Please update the thread once you've monitored the CPU and GPU temperatures. 

Alienware-Naomi
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Ilgmars
1 Copper

0 Kudos
Alienware-Naomi
4 Ruthenium

These records confirm CPU overheating.

Please send me a private message with your Service Tag, contact information and link to this thread so I can help you further. 

Alienware-Naomi
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos