Highlighted
Glithir
1 Nickel

M18x R2 Graphics Crash doesn't seem to be a software problem.

Recently my graphics driver has begun to crash intermittently. It may be 5 minutes after starting my computer, it may be hours after. It may be during gameplay, or not. It started off by restarting my computer every time it crashed. I did a complete uninstall of current and precious drivers and registry clean and then installed the driver again. It has been working for upwards of two years with no problems until now. After the clean install, it is now limited to the graphics crashing when I play an intensive game (SWTOR). The screen goes black and the audio gets stuck on the currently playing tone resulting in a buzzing noise. The system is completely unresponsive and power must be manually turned off. I have run every related diagnostic test in the product support section, and they all say that everything passes and nothing is broken. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on? I'm thinking a card may be shot and the diagnostics are not detecting it, or it may be a motherboard/psu issue that only gets stressed enough to crash when I play certain games for long enough. For the record I have two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M running with SLI enabled.

16 Replies
AndrewSi
4 Germanium

RE: M18x R2 Graphics Crash doesn't seem to be a software problem.

Try running it on one GPU and see if the issues persist.

You can also check and see what background programs are running (Ctrl,Alt,Del)

0 Kudos
Glithir
1 Nickel

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried disabling SLI and it still crashes.

0 Kudos
89fordprobee
4 Ruthenium

cleaned out cooling vents/fans anytime?  with mine and dual 7970's I clean em every 2-3 weeks now being summer

Alienware X51 R3 

M18X R2  Smiley Happy  (again)  

Inspiron 11 Flip , Studio 1535 ,Inspiron 6400

Previous Systems:

M18X R2, M17X R2 ,M17X R1, XPS M1730 & M1530, Inspiron 17R

Posting Tips:
- Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
- Click the button if we answered your question.

I answer questions here, but
I'm not a Dell employee.

0 Kudos
Glithir
1 Nickel

Thanks for the responses guys. After a few days of use after my complete driver reinstall, the only times the graphics have crashed again is after a few hours of intensive gaming. This seems to indicate that overheating may be the actual problem. I went ahead and cleaned out my gpu fans last night, they were a little bit dusty. My friend suggested re-pasting them. Does the thermal paste they use during assembly wear out quickly and should it need to be replaced after less than two years?

0 Kudos
89fordprobee
4 Ruthenium

well usually  thermal paste last long but they use a thermal pad and  in some cases wasn't installed correctly ,  I use arctic silver , I run dual 7970's and rarely get over 70C  same with my 3940XM cpu rarely hits more then 65~ C ..... ambient of 20C

Alienware X51 R3 

M18X R2  Smiley Happy  (again)  

Inspiron 11 Flip , Studio 1535 ,Inspiron 6400

Previous Systems:

M18X R2, M17X R2 ,M17X R1, XPS M1730 & M1530, Inspiron 17R

Posting Tips:
- Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
- Click the button if we answered your question.

I answer questions here, but
I'm not a Dell employee.

yesk13
1 Nickel

I also experienced this and still having the same issue after they replaced the hardware. From the reading of this thread, it seems to me proper cleaning of fan/cooling and proper install of thermal paste will resolve this expensive replacement from Dell.

0 Kudos

Definitely sounds like an issue with the hardware.
I'd try and test out the cards individually (if possible and with SLI Disabled). See which one of them is failing. Try running a Video Benchmark to see if it crashes while you are doing so.

Also, if you can check if it is happening with another game aside from Star Wars: The Old Republic it would help out a lot to see if it is an isolated problem.

Keep me posted!

Alienware-Jose
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#iwork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Glithir
1 Nickel

I haven't played SWTOR in about 2 months now, and my graphics cards have not failed at all during those two months. I have been playing other games such as Watch_Dogs, Archeage, Diablo 3 and others with no graphics card failure. It might have just been the amount of time I would play in one session combined with the rather high graphical processing amount done by SWTOR that was just overheating my graphics cards after a while. The last time I did play, I was able to play for several hours before the failure occurs, but once it occurs, I have to leave my laptop alone for a while to cool off before I can do anything graphically intensive. I went in and cleaned all the fans, I have not re-pasted the cards or anything.

0 Kudos
yesk13
1 Nickel

Mine failed just from normal usage. Tried disable SLI still having the same issue; successfully recovered from graphic card, then later failed to recover and hang computer or restart itself. Then, I switched to integrated graphic card no problem ever since.

0 Kudos