Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2014 01:00

M18x R2 Graphics Crash doesn't seem to be a software problem.

Recently my graphics driver has begun to crash intermittently. It may be 5 minutes after starting my computer, it may be hours after. It may be during gameplay, or not. It started off by restarting my computer every time it crashed. I did a complete uninstall of current and precious drivers and registry clean and then installed the driver again. It has been working for upwards of two years with no problems until now. After the clean install, it is now limited to the graphics crashing when I play an intensive game (SWTOR). The screen goes black and the audio gets stuck on the currently playing tone resulting in a buzzing noise. The system is completely unresponsive and power must be manually turned off. I have run every related diagnostic test in the product support section, and they all say that everything passes and nothing is broken. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on? I'm thinking a card may be shot and the diagnostics are not detecting it, or it may be a motherboard/psu issue that only gets stressed enough to crash when I play certain games for long enough. For the record I have two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M running with SLI enabled.

1 Message

June 30th, 2015 13:00

Hello Jose, I have a similar issue to the one in this thread.  I am being told I have to replace an old NVIDIA 675M with a new one of the same model.  I would rather upgrade but we have been unsuccessful using a NVIDIA 680M.  Here is what happened:

1 month ago I had 8 beeps with no post.  I sent it for repair and the technician replaced the 675M with a new 680M.  Now I still have 8 beeps with the new card but when the 680M card is removed the computer boots to windows fine with onboard graphics.  

I will have the technician re-seat the card to make sure it was done properly.   He is adamant on reverting back to a new 675M instead (he tried flashing motherboard BIOSes to stock Dell version without luck). 

I read people have had success with the M18x R2 and upgrading to the 680m but there must be some confusion.  Should the 680M work with the M18x R2 natively (without modification)?  The 680M and 675M are comparably priced but I would have a significant performance decrease if we installed a 675M.  Is he wrong to believe we HAVE TO use a 675M?  I have a 240 watt and 330 watt power supply if it matters- the technician only tried the 240 watt.
Most importantly:  Is there a list of supported/certified video cards I could upgrade to?  I'd rather not have have the GTX 675m given the option.
Thank you for your help.  
No Events found!