Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2013 13:00

{MOVED}Alienware keeps crashing when playing games

hello just wanted too know if i can do something to stop my laptop from crashing when i'm playing games.

i don;t think its over heating because it crashes when iv'e only been playing for 5 min.

When it happens there are like black spikes across the screen then after a wile it just goes black then i have to restart the computer for it too work again.

Other times the same spikes will happen but then there are greenish lines instead of black screens. this picture is what comes up when i reboot my computer.

i'm not sure why its happening but if someone who knows what it is or why its happening i would be very thankful.

5488.image (2).jpeg

3.3K Posts

March 20th, 2013 14:00

Hi Drew_Allenby,

Please help me understand if the computer crashes only while playing Games?

Follow below steps to isolate the issue:

Step 1:

Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

• Click an event log in the left pane.
  • Double-click an event to view the details of the event.
  • Let me know if you could find any failures.

Step 2:

To optimize Windows performance, try using the Performance troubleshooter to automatically find and fix problems. The Performance troubleshooter checks issues that might slow down your computer's performance, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.  

• Open the Performance troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel.
  • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.
  • Under System and Security, click Check for performance issues.  

Also, disable automatic restart. Follow below steps to disable Automatic restart:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. Click Advanced system settings.
  3. Click the Advanced tab.
  4. In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
  5. Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

Restart the computer and check if the computer restarts

Awaiting your response!

March 20th, 2013 15:00

thanks for the fast reply

there were lots of errors in all of the windows logs tabs

so far the computer hasn't crashed but its only been a few hours

one thing though im not sure if it make a difference but when im playing games and it crashes the computer dosent turn off it just black screens

3.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2013 17:00

Hi Drew_Allenby,

When we open the Event viewer, click on the red mark which would give you the details of the error (Software/Hardware).

Also, do let me know the status of the computer. Does the computer crash now?

Awaiting your response!

4 Posts

January 17th, 2016 22:00

Hi I had the exact same problem. When I went to the admin. events, bars among bars of errors were there. What should I do to prevent my games from crashing?

No Events found!