Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2012 18:00

Masking Tape on GFX Card, Superglued GFX Fan! Want Answers Now!

Last year Dell replaced my faulty XPS M1730 with an Alienware M17xR2, and I have had nothing but problems since. After dealing with horrible out of state customer service for months on end, I was just happy to finally have a working computer since I do all my website work and gaming on my computer, and hinders me greatly when I don't have a good computer. Dell never gave me a warranty for what was basically a new computer after dealing with them for months on end for the defected motherboard. It's been just over a year, and I have so many problems with this computer that I looked past, but after what I saw last night is the last straw.

I have the problem with being shocked constantly on the side of my computer, the horrible CPU fan casing gets bent by the slightest pressure, can't use internal microphone due to loud buzzing from CPU fan, my GFX card fan working only half the time, the left side of my computer gets extremely hot where you can feel the keys heating up, having to sometimes unplug and take battery out to get my PC to turn on, ect... All looked past because I didn't have a warranty and didn't feel like dealing with technical service again. Again this is all less than a year, and now after just a year this major problem has occured with the fan noise being unbearable and computer shutting off.

I am very skilled with computers, and have been able to put on together since I was a little kid. I take extremely good condition of my computers, and it's very sad I can't get a good gaming laptop from Dell/Alienware that will last longer than a year. The CPU fan problem has been getting worse and worse, and my computer has been shutting off on me when using high end website/graphic programs or gaming for longer than 15 mins on low settings. It's to the point that I can't even use my headset mic because the fan is so loud. When the GFX card fan does work, it also is a loud grinding noise just like the CPU fan can get. I looked around and the most common cause was a dirty computer and to clean the fans & heat sinks. I looked up a YouTube video that I found on this site of a Dell Tech taking apart a M17xR2, and followed along on my TV. To my surprise, I was appalled at what I found after sliding out the keyboard.

I found a piece of masking tape across the inside of my computer and main graphics card, that seems to be there to hold down the wire that no longer sticks that connects the graphics cards together. I took the piece of masking tape off, but the piece that touched to the heat sink area is burnt on there and I didn't want to fuss with it and was already shocked waiting to write to Dell. I still had my fan problem, so I took out the graphics cards to clean the fans and what I found after that really crossed the line. On the main GFX card fan, there was what seems to be super glue all over the fan. It looks like someone broke the fan and literally tried to super glue it back together. Are you serious? What kind of Quality Control checks do you guys do?

I'd really hope that this is a refurbished and you guys dont send out new computers like this. I paid over $3000 for a laptop that doesnt work after 6 months, defected motherboards, and horrible technicians who always came by and made the problem worse or scratched up my computer all over trying to get in. Even then, what kind of technicians do you guys use to refurbish the computers? How can you send this to an already upset customer? Our family account has been nothing but loyal. We have bought countless PCs from Dell and now Alienware over the past 2 decades, and have been nothing but happy until now. I would have fully recommended a Dell to anyone, and after having good results I wanted to try them again. I could have built the computer for cheaper, but I wanted to be able to finance a gaming laptop since I was working more than I had free time back then.

I've looked past enough, and I have dealt with enough out of the state technical service for more months than I want to remember, enough is enough. I want answers and not copy and pasted replied that I have had to deal with over the years of trying to get this settled. I even went into more matters and since then stopped it because I thought you guys replaced a faulty computer with a working one. Nothing but 2 years of problems between me and Dell, and this is the last straw. Came here to try to resolve this in a calmly manner and fast manner with someone who is in the states and works with Dell. I've had good experiences with American Dell Support and think they are professional besides this last case. Please help as I don't know what to do anymore...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 7th, 2012 07:00

I got your private message. I have emailed the Alienware Team. This will take some time.

4 Posts

February 7th, 2012 12:00

Thank you for your quick reply. I know that with time this can get resolved, but I just hope this won't take 1-2 months and multiple techs to check it out to figure out a solution like it did last time. As upset and disappointed that I am, I'm glad I was finally able to reach someone at Dell and have some hope again of getting this fixed.

4 Posts

February 10th, 2012 00:00

Can't believe Dell's Tech Support is defending this..

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 14th, 2012 09:00

I do not understand that statement? Didn't we in the end get you the parts on 2/13?

4 Posts

February 16th, 2012 23:00

I ended up posting that before you got back to me, and right after Dell Technical Support got a hold of me and defended it. I did retrieve the parts. The one GFX you could tell was used and had hair in the bag (took pics), but my PC works, abit the few problems that I think are from the motherboard. Its really refreshing not getting an empty ear, so I appreciate your help. Chris is the man, but Dell Tech Support is soo terrible. Thanks again for everything and your quick responses!

No Events found!