nwscoobie
1 Nickel

Memory upgrade in Alienware 15 R2 ( late 2015) Skylake

So I recently purchased some Kingston Hyper-x 16gb kit same specs as the current installed memory just larger. I currently have 8gb that comes from dell DDR4 2133.

Upon installation on the new memory everything works.. for abit then gets a bsod. After concluding it was the memory causing the BSOD I RMAd the memory for replacement.

After reeving the new memory I am still getting the same issue. This motherboard supports pc2133 and up to 16gb so what am I missing? I also opened up a support request with Kingston. Some sort of compatibility issue. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Memory upgrade in Alienware 15 R2 ( late 2015) Skylake

We are not sure about the retail memory and why they BSOD the system? These are the Dell OEM validated memory and part numbers =
FDMRM 4GB, 2133MHz
TD3KX 8GB, 2133MHz

My advice would be to contact Dell Sales (1-800-357-3355) and purchase TD3KX.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
vacavalier
1 Nickel

RE: Memory upgrade in Alienware 15 R2 ( late 2015) Skylake

Just ran across this post as I was thinking of upgrading my RAM as well.  Kingston is GREAT memory, especially in the laptop realm but have also found that Crucial is a close rival.  Try this as well: www.crucial.com/.../alienware-15-r2

However, for GAMING purposes...  You will NOT see any higher performance gains unfortunately bumping up to 2400.