Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2014 07:00

Microphone wiring?

I have a 6 month old m17, and I enjoy it very much. However, it has an irritating issues in that the microphone only works with the lid more than half closed. Is there anyone who's taken apart the LCD enough to know where the wiring for it runs?

I have no problem opening and working on this, and it still works fine for Skype calls, as long as I keep the lid half closed. Any ideas?

901 Posts

June 11th, 2014 09:00

Hi, I think it may be a loose connection to the webcam, I'm pretty sure the microphone works off the same cable.

The main LCD connection cable runs from the motherboard, then to the bottom right of the screen.

Just inside the hinge cover it splits into two cables, one running to a direct connection into the LCD, the other runs from bottom to top in between the LCD screen and the rear LCD cover then connects into the webcam.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_alienware_laptops/alienware-17_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf

June 11th, 2014 17:00

That would make sense, except that the webcam works at any angle

901 Posts

June 15th, 2014 10:00

Be that as it may, the two wires are still enclosed together. There may be one loose or faulty wire, maybe when the lid is up gravity is pulling the cable downwards, perhaps it's hanging out on an angle? The connection to the webcam would be my first choice.

1.8K Posts

June 16th, 2014 14:00

Hi Wren Hensgen,

Please send me a private message with your Service Tag, contact information and link to this thread so I can assist you further. 

No Events found!