Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2015 01:00

Motherboard...

Ok so I have an x51 r2 that the hard drive died. after several attempts to fix it with a different hard drive, I keep having the same issue. somehow the hard drive gets corrupted or all partitions become unallocated. I have checked all cables involved. Is this a motherboard issue at this point? I am out of warranty by the way.

• 

2.7K Posts

June 1st, 2015 09:00

You can try switching the SATA cable of the hard drive and the optical drive in the motherboard, that way we will be able to determine if there is a problem either with the cable or with the port. 

June 1st, 2015 11:00

Huh. I will admit I didn't think about that I will try this tonight. Thank you.

June 1st, 2015 22:00

Ok. So I got into the case and I noticed one problem. The sata cable is like a combination cable that both the optical and hard drive are part of. well they share that same power. But the optical drive uses what looks like a mini version of what the hard drive is. Is there another way to test this? or do I need to just get a new cable and play trial and error?

June 2nd, 2015 23:00

Also another thing to add. I Thought about what you were saying about the sata cables and it clicked. So I tried the ports and still the same issues.

• 

2.7K Posts

June 3rd, 2015 15:00

It will be great if you could do the trial and error with some SATA and power cables. That would be the last resort before replacing the motherboard.

June 3rd, 2015 18:00

Alight. Thank you for the info. I will give it a try when I can. Thanks again.

No Events found!