Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2014 12:00

Moving the X51 hardware into a bigger case

I've decided that I want to move all of the X51's hardware into a bigger case so I can upgrade the PSU and the GPU to a GTX 770. I realize that I won't have the lights anymore, but is there anything else that is Alienware specific that wouldn't transfer correctly to a different case? I heard that I would have to change the motherboard because of the size difference, so I chose a slightly bigger case than the X51's case.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119299&cm_re=itx_pc_case-_-11-119-299-_-Product

Would everything transfer correctly to this case? (Including the current motherboard) 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 26th, 2014 13:00

I don't know.

The x51's (limited tech) motherboard is not worth moving. Search forums for others who have done it (and their satisfaction level in the end). The components ON IT can be re-used if you want to strip the machine, but go ahead and spend $100 on a new motherboard. Also, nice gaming rig (even if in Living Room) really shouldn't be smaller than mATX anyway (to handle power, speed, and cooling).

In general, most people just buy or build the new system. Their old system gets re-purposed, gifted, or sold (to fund the new machine).

No Events found!