Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 1st, 2017 12:00

Multiple eufi BIOS update notifications?

I recently bought an Alienware 17 R4, which so far I love. However, I am receiving repeated notifications for a BIOS update every few days from Dell. I installed a uefi BIOS update successfully the first time I was notified, but then I receive another notification of an update, and another, and another... Note that there seems to be no quick and easy method to find out what BIOS version one has under Windows 10 (yes I’ve searched and know how to do it, but it’s a pain and not easy). Obviously, one of the following must be true: either there are multiple successive BIOS updates being sent out every few days, or notifications for the same update are being sent repeatedly every few days. NEITHER OF THESE OPTIONS IS ACCEPTABLE, DELL! I mean seriously, with uefi every BIOS update is a chance to totally screw up the system and brick the computer, I am NOT going to do it every few days! On the other hand, if it’s all just about the same exact update, then congratulations Dell, you have trained me to clear and totally ignore these notifications in a mere week and a half! Again, neither of these is acceptable. I need an easy way to tell if an update notification is genuine or a repeat, but if genuine, all I can say is, messing with the BIOS on a daily basis is insane, and I’m simply not gonna do that. Period. Such updates should be happening, at most, maybe once every few months, and even that is way too often, because it’s friggin dangerous! Also time consuming. Firmware is not to be trifled with!

What say you, Dell? These forums contain account after account of people who failed to recover after a BIOS update. Wouldn’t one want to keep such activity to an absolute minimum?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 1st, 2017 12:00

1. However, I am receiving repeated notifications for a BIOS update every few days from Dell. I installed a uefi BIOS update successfully the first time I was notified, but then I receive another notification of an update, and another, and another...

2. Note that there seems to be no quick and easy method to find out what BIOS version one has under Windows 10 (yes I’ve searched and know how to do it, but it’s a pain and not easy).

1. If it bothers you (and you choose to not just dismiss the errant notification) ... Uninstall Alienware Update and/or Dell Update (runs in System Tray).

2. Run MSINFO32 from Command Prompt or just boot to BIOS and look.

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2017 16:00

You don’t find anything wrong with an update system that continues to tell you, repeatedly, that you need to install an “important update from Dell” long after you have already done so? Moreover, most of these notifications tell you very little about the update itself, sometimes you actually have to start the update process to find out the details of what’s being installed. This is acceptable to you? Yes, sure, I can just disregard spurious update notices, but my point was if I get in the habit of doing that, how will I know when a genuine new update comes along? They all say the same thing, and give no details. You’re telling me in this day and age there isn’t a better way to do things? That I should just treat Dell update notifications like the boy who cried wolf, and ignore them? Dell needs to fix the system so that it knows when you have complied and installed an update, and that stops further notifications. How hard could that be?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 2nd, 2017 19:00

almechist wrote:

1. You don’t find anything wrong with an update system that continues to tell you, repeatedly, that you need to install an “important update from Dell” long after you have already done so?

2. You’re telling me in this day and age there isn’t a better way to do things?

3. Dell needs to fix the system so that it knows when you have complied and installed an update, and that stops further notifications.

4. How hard could that be?

1. I agree with you, but it's beyond my control.

2. I posted a suggested work-around. After the machine is a year-or-so old, the updates slow anyway.

3. Agreed

4. Apparently, very hard. 

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2017 14:00

Thanks for the reply, it seems we’re basically in agreement. While informative, you’ll have to excuse me if I don’t mark the reply as “helpful”, or the question as “solved”, since the problem remains and “nothing to be done about it” isn’t really a valid solution. Guess I’ll just have to hope that someone further up the Dell hierarchy reads these posts and decides to commit the necessary resources required for an actual fix. Don’t worry, I’m not holding my breath.

1 Message

November 24th, 2017 07:00

I have been having the same problem, during November 2017. What I want to know is, HAVE THERE BEEN REPEATED UPDATES TO THE BIOS or are the repeated messages bogus? I don't see an answer here to this simple question. I have run two of them with no (APPARENT, knock wood) ill effects. Now a day later, here's a third. Enough, already. Just what is going on?

1 Message

December 10th, 2017 04:00

I reported this to Dell Support. Developers are 'working on it'. I suggested future alerts should contain BIOS version number. It took me three updates to notice it was applying the same update over and over. Doh!

7 Posts

December 15th, 2017 15:00

Add me to the list. This has happened 3 times in the last week now.  The box comes up that says there is a bios update and has the word "version", which one would assume you click on to find out.  No, clicking the box, no matter where, even just trying to find a way to close it, automatically installs the damn update again and you have to reboot.  Actually, Dell has been sending out update notices about this version for probably 6 months now.  The date on the file keeps changing, but the version number and file name do not.  What's going on?

1 Message

December 25th, 2017 21:00

I'm having the same problems with my new Alienware 15 R3
Getting multiple messages from Dell telling me that there is an urgent BIOS update.
I update the BIOS but keep getting the same message.

Has anyone found a fix for this??

1 Message

December 27th, 2017 13:00

I have two recent Alienware laptops, 17R4 (work) and 15R3 (home). Both are driving me insane with the incessant bios update notifications. This issue needs to be addressed. While it is probably not as dangerous as it used to be to mess with bios versions, it is still something that should not need to be done this frequently and it is very concerning to see it pop up every other day. Whichever the issue is (erroneous update notifications or valid frequent changes they are pushing), it is too frequent or it is going to cause some users to ignore when they should not. 

7 Posts

January 5th, 2018 07:00

Same issue here.  I hope there is a fix for errant notification sooner than later.  

No Events found!