Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 15th, 2011 04:00

My AREA 51 - Boot up issues - Very weird

Hi (finally worked out I need to join the group to post - derr),

I need some help with a problem I am having. Its with an Alienware Area 51 system I have.

My system is an Area 51 i975X 3.33, 6gb ram 1333, GTX295. Windows 7 ultimate.

The system is now out of warranty and It was the 3rd one I got.

I am going to try and describe the issue as best as I can. :)

Well it started about a month ago when my computer would not waken from sleep. So I had to hard turn it off, reboot and all was good.

This was the same problem my others have had, that lead to them not rebooting at all and in turn faulty motherboards. The others I have had though, would turn the computer on with no display picture, but have the fans going at 100%! I would then hard turn off again and that is as good as I could get. It would never give me a picture. They were I guess dead. So I had to keep returning them.

I now have this one and its starting to play up again. But its a slightly different problem now.

What happens is if I walk up to my computer right now, and press the power button, It will do nothing. It just sits their like a rock dead to the world. But what is amazing, is that in about 12-48 hours it will magically boot up again as if it was taking a long rest? A delayed start up if you will.

What have I done to try and remedy it?

-I have installed the latest bios A10

-I have run a perfmon check and other than anti virus, and the little tech knowledge I have, it looks ok (saved the log)

-I ahve tried other ram, no luck, and that ram definitely works in our other computer (10600 1333 ram,)

Some other info which may or may not help you help me:

When the computer is on and running, it CAN be restarted immediately, and all will run fine. It will go back to the alienware bios screen, run through windows start up and hey presto we are on.

(most of the time - today it turned off during a restart but thats ok I was installing updates so it might have turned off for a sec).

On the other hand, if the computer is turned off, this is when it has the boot up problem, and you will be waiting for up to 2 days for it to show any power.

The other thing is, when it is on, it works! It runs games, it is fast, I am stumped!

What can I do!? What should I check? What could it be? This has been drving me mad and I cant think of anything else.

Thanks!

Dennis

5 Posts

July 15th, 2011 12:00

A solution? I can't help you......but last year I had the same problems. Many times to be honest.

But after a clean installation of Windows (from Vista to 7) and losing Command Center the problem disappeared.

The last few weeks I suffer a few minor "freezing" moments, but turn off/turn on and my Aurora ALX is OK again.

Dell Support in The Netherlands? They don't have a solution!

30 Posts

July 15th, 2011 13:00

I just have to wait a few days for the computer to boot..

30 Posts

July 15th, 2011 13:00

So you had similar issues? Interesting. I just tried the suggestion of pulling plug, holding power button down for 3 secs (I tried 30 secs as well) but no go unfortunately.

Why is command centre a problem? Isn't it made by Dell?

Anyways I'm happy to try all that and rid command centre, if it means the comp will work again!

5 Posts

July 15th, 2011 15:00

I am not sure of losing Command Center (caused by the clean Windows Installation after a disaster with my Bios update from A10 to A11) is a solution for this problem, but my Aurora ALX is since then more stabile than ever. Not perfect.......sometimes freezing, but I don't have to wait several hours/days anymore. I don't think that I will ever buy a Dell or Alienware in the future!

30 Posts

July 16th, 2011 06:00

PS im running A10 bios.

30 Posts

July 16th, 2011 06:00

Ok, unfortunately I have lost my Windows ultimate disc.. So I just deleted, and formatted my hard drive and installed the windows that I did have handy, Windows 7 Home Premium.

All went well with the install and I got to the main screen. So I began to install the Dell drivers (no command centre) and the windows update stuff.

It started installing all the updates and reset as it does when it has finished dowloading. I got to the windows start up screen where it says "Stage 3: windows update  37% complete" etc.. it finished but then never turned over to the final home screen - it got stuck on the blue windows screen ( the one where it says "Stage 3: windows update  37% complete") !

It did restart though between  stg 1 of the installing the updates through to the stg 3 100% - about 3 times, and did it all fine.

Then when I hit off, and tried to restart, no go. Its now dead again. and I just lost windows ultimate :(.

Where to from here? Would love some help from people who know what they are doing. Cause I got nothing.

Chris M, I checked the OC and have it on the lowest setting as usual.

55 Posts

July 16th, 2011 08:00

I think Dell Alienware needs to come out with a new BIOs update.  It seems that the A10 version has caused nothing but problems.  I had some of the same issues that you are having with my brand new Area 51.  After having it for 28 days, and 5 in-home tech visits they sent me a new one.  The techs had replaced the mother board, the i/o board, the hard drive, the memory and finally gave up. Most of the problems with the Area 51 seem to be when it is trying to boot up.  Even with the new one, the boot is very slow and about every 3 or 4 reboots it hangs and won't boot.  I then have to restart it and pray that it works!

30 Posts

July 16th, 2011 10:00

Also;

when you power off, the alien  head is going on and off like it is sleeping - even though it is shut down!

30 Posts

July 16th, 2011 10:00

I hate to be this guy.. but the top spec Area 51 Alienware is the most expensive comp you can buy almost..and iut doesnt start? Man I had an old Pentium D Dell dimension 9150 , with a 7800GTX in it and its still working - everytime.

2.4K Posts

July 16th, 2011 16:00

When you try to boot the system do you have anything plugged into it? If so disconnect everything from the system but the keyboard and try booting.

You should also try going into the BIOS and turning off all boot devices but your C drive or whatever drive your OS is on.

30 Posts

July 17th, 2011 04:00

Hey morblore,

I have the monitor, keyboard and mouse plugged in via usb at start up. The comp is not even firing up at all so i dont know if changing the boot device will do anything? Wont hurt to try though. I think I really need to install the older BIOS.. anyone know how?

2.4K Posts

July 17th, 2011 16:00

USB devices can sometimes prevent a bootup or slow it down.  Just to make sure its not a USB device unplug the mouse and keyboard too. Now if it does try to boot you will get a keyboard warning and it will stop there but dont worry since all you are trying to do is get it to boot.

If its still a no go then you ruled out all the USB's doing it.

Leave everything unplugged but the monitor and unplug the system from the wall. Open the case and remove all your expansion cards ( GPU/Sound Card,etc). Next I want you to remove the RAM..all of it. Leave them out of the system.

Now with the door still off the system I want you to plug it back into the wall and try to turn it on. I want you to look inside the system while you try to turn it on. Look for any lights on the mobo coming on or fans turning. Also listen for the computer to Beep.

You should here the computer complain (beeps) and see lights on the mobo come on. If you dont see any of these then I would think it's a PSU issue. Check the connections going from the PSU to the mobo..its the big 24pin ATX connector at the top right of the mobo..unplug it and plug it back in to make sure it is making a good connection. Do you know someone with a tester? A local computer shop can test the PSU for you if you dont have one. Thats the next step.

If it is still dead then pull out the PSU and take it to a local computer shop to have it tested. If you dont have one around you then try a Geek squad at a best buy..I dont trust those guys but meh..what choice do you have. Most cant tie a shoe lol.

keep in mind you have something weird going on...I never heard of someone turning on there system and it fires up 12 hours later. Could be a loose wire,failing mobo,failing PSU ... gotta start rulling stuff out. Could also be a bad power button or maybe the MIO board...Are you sure there is power at the wall? Are you using a UPS..you know..a battery back up? If so is it working fine?

You need to rule all this stuff out so we can narrow it down to the cause. If I had to guess I would say it will be the PSU or mobo...just a guess.

1 Message

September 18th, 2011 20:00

Have you found a solution? I have the same problem. Thanks, Roy

30 Posts

April 23rd, 2012 03:00

Yes I have, it was the Power Supply. Gone. I got it repaired, but to be honest, i could ahve done the same money on replacing it for another, new one.

2.4K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 05:00

Yes I have, it was the Power Supply. Gone. I got it repaired, but to be honest, i could ahve done the same money on replacing it for another, new one.

I don't know about that. The PSU can run you $400 bucks. yeah, it's not cheap.

No Events found!