Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 27th, 2014 09:00

My Experience with the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (Late 2014): Compatibilities, Damages, and Other Issues

// Last update on October 5, 2015 | The unit is still in process for a resolution

// Last update on January 9, 2015 | The replacement units are damaged again (Pictures on page 6):  

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19608440?pi21932=6

// Last update on November 29, 2014 | Section on the drives and RAID

On November 4, 2014 I ordered my New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) with:

Intel Core i7-5960X (8 cores)

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit English

32GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz

128GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s Main + 2TB HDD 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage

Dual NVidia GeForce GTX Titan Z with 24GB Total (2x 12GB)

4 Year Alienware Enhanced Support

Total Price: $7,482.56 CAD

Estimated Delivery Date was for December 4, 2014.

On Tuesday November 25, 2014, I received my delivery with Purolator. As you can see in the two pictures below, I was happy until I saw the box was damaged.

The New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box had only 2 of 4 clips that hold the top-box to the base-box. Purolator delivered my Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box upside down.

2474.001.jpg

7455.002.jpg

Here is a sample of my conversation with the delivery guy:

Me: It would be nice to see the people to handle it with gently with care.

The Purolator Delivery Guy: Why would I? It’s just a big heavy box?!!

Me: Because you’re holding a super expensive computer the box is damaged. Do you still have the two missing clips that hold the box in place?

The Purolator Delivery Guy: No I don’t have them. I received your box like that when I loaded my truck this morning.

Me: Alright... I’m hoping everything is fine when I’ll open the box. Would it be possible to help me bring this big box upstairs? It’s a bit difficult to handle alone.

The Purolator Delivery Guy: Sure, I can.

Once we got on my apartment floor, I signed on the terminal for the reception of my delivery. Before he left, I told him: I’m worried my computer is damaged.

The Purolator Delivery Guy: It’s normal! The damages happen all the time for a delivery and if something happens to your computer please contact Dell. Plus there are no symbols, signs or icons to show that’s fragile or which side is up. How am I supposed to handle the box if there’s no indication. Normally this kind of box should not be delivered by one guy, but two. Also, the bottom was hanging out so I had to handle it upside down. The clips were not strong enough to hold the bottom part of the box. They should add more tape around it.

Me: Well, I guess they didn’t think that it was necessary.

I noticed Dell changed their packaging this year. They cheaped out a bit with the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box compared to the old Alienware Aurora R4 (2013) box. Here’s a video showing the unboxing of the Alienware Aurora R4 (2013) for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3irfNNI4U5Q

In order to show how the quality of the box has changed, I compared the previous year to this year.

From this YouTube video, you can definitely see the old Alienware Aurora R4 (2013) was really well packaged.

4010.AW A R4 000.jpg

You’ll notice there’s a symbol with an arrow on the box below the kid’s left hand showing the right side up. Also, at the same level on the box, there are other instruction symbols which are not on the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) packaging.

As you can see in the two pictures below, the big box contains two other boxes, each with padding on the corners.

3362.AW A R4 001.jpg

5305.AW A R4 002.jpg

One of those two boxes is accessories box, with foam compartments for the manuals instructions, discs, mouse, keyboard, power cord, mouse pad etc.

4747.AW A R4 003.jpg

The second box is the computer box that has 4 clips at the bottom.

7462.AW A R4 005.jpg

You have to remove the clips before pulling the upper part of the box.

3252.AW A R4 006.jpg

Inside that box you will find 4 foam corners padding the computer casing and with the computer case protected by a cover sheet, preventing scratches and rubbing the computer case against the foam.

3252.AW A R4 007.jpg

2604.AW A R4 008.jpg

As you can see, the Alienware Aurora R4 (2013) was really well packaged for transportation.

5327.AW A R4 009.jpg

For the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) Dell has omitted the necessary layers of protection and to secure the unit in place so it won’t have any accidents.

I detached the two remaining clips in order to pull up the upper part box to reveal the contents inside the box.

3660.003.jpg

As you can see the presentation of the Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box is unpleasant to see and is not grandiose like the previous one I showed above. At the top you‘ll notice the accessories box, however it is not padded like the prior model.

3005.004.jpg

On the top front and back of the computer there are two cardboard triangles, meant to stabilize the computer. However the triangles were squished and essentially useless.

Then the computer casing has a foam hat to cover the top of the computer. But the computer casing was not place correctly in the foam place holder base.

8551.005.jpg

The computer was actually standing on one side corner of the hexagon shape. The state of the two triangles cardboard that’s squished show that they were not strong enough to hold the computer casing in place when the delivery guy flipped the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box upside down during the transport. Another important mistake Dell made in the packaging that wasn't present in the previous year, is not having the computer casing covered with a cover sheet or a thin plastic film to prevent rubbing of the foam against the computer casing during transportation.

Due to the lack of protection on the casing, the casing was damaged. Below are pictures of the damage on the computer casing.

Scratches on the right door.

8551.006.jpg

Scratches on the left door.

3264.007.jpg

Scratches on the left door and dents on the black plastic frame and dust.

4331.008.jpg

Other dents on the black plastic frame.

8055.009.jpg

There’s a bend on the left metal frame edge where the left bottom door sits on before the door can be snapped on the casing.

0121.010.jpg

On the picture below, the left door has a gap because the left metal frame edge is bent inside the computer casing.

8463.011.jpg

The gap also prevents the left door LED light from lighting up because the contact doesn’t touch with the Alien FX connector. Also there's no stickers for Express Service Code and the Product Key for the Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit English.

I immediately called Dell.ca to report the issue. For the three hours, I was transferred back and forth between Canada USA where I had to explain my problem to 5-to-6 customer service agents before someone helped me submit a request an exchange.

After I finished the call with Dell Customer Service, I decided to look inside the accessories box:

2287.012.jpg

The box contained manuals instruction, Microsoft Windows 8.1 Recovery Disc, Alienware Disc, Power Cord, mouse and keyboard. The keyboard box was upside down. However there was no mouse pad, no DVI-to-VGA adapter, and no extra modular cable 6 pins to 8 pins to add a third GPU card.

4353.013.jpg

To be sure I wasn’t missing something, I looked inside the computer casing and effectively there’s is no extra modular preconfigured to add a third GPU card.

0143.014.jpg

Dell have completely removed the extra modular cables that were in position R3 and R4 of the power supply.

3757.015.jpg

However the cables should be there because I remember Eddy Goyanes (Alienware Marketing) mentioned the computer will be ship with the extra modular cable at 4:06/5:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xPG3AK9CE0

Joe Olmsted (Alienware Director of Product Planning) also talked about it here at 10:43/13:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-urlcdzvgA

On a side note, for those who want to know the specification of the standard ATX Power Supply 1500W, see the picture below or http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/DELL,INC_D1500EF-00_1500W_ECOS%203950_Report.pdf .

3757.016.jpg

Further, the choice for default drives that comes with the unit could be better. The main drive is a Samsung SSD PM851 | MZ7TE128HMGR. The specifications below will give you an idea of the performance you will get.

6136.017.jpg

4478.017 SSD.PNG

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/product/flash-ssd/detail?productId=7992&iaId=831

The storage drive is a Toshiba HDD | DAT01ACA200, which is average and manufactured on OCT-2014. The date is quite recent like you can see on the picture below.

8203.018.jpg

The HHD specifications and performance are like the other drives in the same category of 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB cache.

0268.018 HDD.PNG

http://storage.toshiba.com/storagesolutions/client/dt01aca-series

I’m curious to know what kind of drives Dell will put in the system when you upgrade for the option of 256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage or 512GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage. One thing for sure these upgrade come with a storage drive that run slower at 6kRPM compared to Toshiba HHD 2TB 7200RPM.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You will not be able to RAID your SSDs. Dell/Alienware don’t officially support the RAID for SSDs in the bays/SATA ports 4, 5, and 6. They made a really bad decision and design choice for the motherboard firmware.  Most of the hard-core enthusiasm gamers will be very angry and furious when they will try to install their SSDs in RAID 0, 1, 5 & 10.

4073.018 SSD.jpg

In my case, I can’t even RAIDed all my Intel SSDs 730 Series 480GB the way I want.

NB to Dell or Alienware: Please fix your motherboard firmware and please unlock all the SATA ports for the RAID mode and add the support for the NVMe. Your X99 high-end PC desktop should have all those options available.

To my surprise, my first initial boot up was already done by someone. It has a username of “ooba1”.

7181.019.png

I don’t know what happen there? Why is there no initial setup when you boot the first time the computer?

Another surprise, the Intel i7-5960X is not factory overclocked at 4.0GHz like they stated on www.alienware.ca.

5824.018.PNG

It was set at 3.0GHz which is the default speed set by Intel.

3276.019.PNG

To conclude, I’m a bit disappointed to see my New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) with all these damages with the delivery, the lack of good packaging, missing the extra modular cables, the issue with the RAID Mode, the initial booting was already done by another user and the Intel CPU i7-5960X was not factory overclocked at 4.0GHz. It feels like Dell was not ready to release and they were rushing to push this product out quickly.

8233.Winter2014.jpg

There is a snowstorm in Montreal Canada; winter is here. I hope the next delivery will be better, but I doubt they had the time to improve the packaging so that it is more adapted to the weather conditions and for transport like the older model.

47 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 09:00

2Way SLI - you should be fine. There are plenty of 60mm SLI Bridges out there.
EVGA makes a nice looking one. P/N 100-2W-0021-LR.
Its when you go to 3-way SLI your going to struggle.

None of the Nvidia SLI bridges will work with this PC because they are designed with zero spacing between dual slot cards. This machine has a single slot between dual cards.

Proof that there are still people at Dell who do care about customers, I was overnighted a 3-way bridge at no cost.
Down the road, they should at the very least make that 3way bridge serviceable through spare parts so we can purchase.
The one sent to me was made by Nvidia and is a 2x60mm 3 way bridge. This is not the 3 way Nvidia bridge you buy from online stores.

Hope this helps.

8 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 12:00

Kicking myself right now for not reading this post before making my purchase... Thanks for sharing.

Although my unit was in good shape on delivery upgrading has proven a challenge. Like the countless other customers I was expecting the third modular cable in order to upgrade the system myself. Contacting customer support was advised the system doesn't support 3-Way-Sli hence the cable was not shipped and cannot be ordered. Pretty sure the 1500w PSU, i7- 5960x and motherboard support this? Anyway also order a nVidia Sli bridge from GeForce only to also discover the non standing spacing between the GPU. Would love to hear back from the discussion board if anyone gets any of these issues sorted with the Sli bridge, modular cable and unlocking the RAID on the SSD bays. Thanks

26 Posts

December 5th, 2014 22:00

In all honesty, while I really appreciate this post it makes me very nervous about my order. I am hoping yours is an exception, but even still I completely agree the packaging is less than top notch or anywhere near the Aurora from what I've seen. I am hopeful that this packaging is stage one in getting the machines out for the holidays but plan on improving it as soon as possible. Still a disappointment though, I've watched a few unboxing videos now, even one in french where a guy talks FOREVER before unboxing!!! But the product does look great even if the packaging is really less than it deserves. Glad to hear Dell is going to replace your damaged unit.

I've been trying to figure out how my order can take so long, I figured that it was related to ordering the GTX 980 but I've seen a few orders that have been shipped that have had later delivery dates than mine. I won't lie I find it pretty frustrating!

27 Posts

December 7th, 2014 15:00

I received my Area 51 on 12-5-2014.

The Box was completely mangled and had tape all over it holding it together.
I was a little in shock but had prepared myself for it- from previous posts like Donovan and others.
Alienware has to improve the packaging it is terrible.
photo(1).JPG
I do not know who taped the out of the box- but the box itself was broken and the clips were completely pushed inward. The box was obviously opened when broken apart at the top and along the side.
photo(2).JPG
This is what the box looked like when opened.
Area 51 did not come with keyboard or mouse- didn't really care as the factory sends junk anyway.
But I would like to receive what I paid for. The Alienware Disks were not in the box at all either.
Damaged Box 4.jpg
Also- I ordered Microsoft Office 2013 and it did not come with that either pre-loaded.
I did receive the Microsoft Key package (I found it at the bottom of the box)
- so I got to spend 2 hours downloading software.
Damaged Box 3.jpg
Here you can see the upper box top that should hold the keyboard was completely broken.
I suppose the box was broken by shipper and the Keyboard was probably broken and removed by the shipper. No way the keyboard could have survived what ever broke that upper box.
Luckily- The Area 51 had no physical damage. I guess I was lucky there.
The Area 51 is working and functioning good- no complaints there.
I would like to point out that I have purchased over the years and still operate the following:
2 Alienware Aurora
1 M17 Laptop
1 ALX51 Desktop New
1 Area 51 Desktop New
I have always been impressed with Alienware and am a Loyal AW user. The packaging in the past has always been great and showed the pride Alienware took in the product.
The only thing I can say about the Area 51 packaging is that Corporate Greed at Dell is at its finest with this dismal packaging. I mean how much does good secure packaging really cost. My Aurora and M17  were packaged so well- you could have dropped them out of an airplane. LOL
I don't know where my disks are or my keyboard or my mouse- I have to call Tech Support- just haven't wanted to spend my weekend frustrated on the phone with Tech Support for 4 hours.
Overall I would rate the Area 51 computer performance a B+
I would rate the packaging and delivery a F-----------
I have been saying for many years now- that Dell has placed its stamp of Ineptitude all over a once Unique and Quality product.

372 Posts

December 7th, 2014 15:00

I got mine on Friday, no AW mouse pad, no hat, no decals.  nothing.

62 Posts

December 8th, 2014 13:00

brian4902,

I'm shocked to see how bad your box was at the reception. I hope you're still happy with your new toy.

On my side, I'm still waiting after my new replacement. I still don't know when they'll be able to deliver..

59 Posts

December 8th, 2014 14:00

Okay now I'm worried. I have two Area 51 R2's coming...

27 Posts

December 8th, 2014 15:00

Zero

Well don't get overly worried.

My box looked atrocious but the computer was in good shape.

Not sure how Area 51 survived the pummeling the box took...

But happy it did- and it also works good-- minus upgrade capabilities.

27 Posts

December 8th, 2014 15:00

Donovan

I thought you had it replaced like 2 weeks ago?

Didn't Alienware promise to be there that same week?

If not that is really bad service... your AW should be in mint condition.

When I saw the AW box for my PC- I was in shock and expected the worse.

I was happy to find no damage to the PC- which is why I am not so upset about all the missing parts- and disks etccc...................

Side note all the AW stress you need a Florida Vacation. LOL

97 Posts

December 8th, 2014 17:00

seeing the latest pictures was really distressing for me, I don't blame AW or Dell for this as I have experience in the logistics industry and it is like that everywhere, it part of the work culture to roughly handle big boxes.

I just question why people risk ordering quad SLI Titan Z or triple 980

not only are you paying a high price premium on top of market prices, the risk of damage goes up exponentially high knowing the atrocious handling by the shipping companies

59 Posts

December 8th, 2014 17:00

Mine is coming tomorrow around 10AM. It's currently in Toronto. I'll post pics when I have (it) my 3x980 model.

26 Posts

December 8th, 2014 19:00

To those receiving your orders, are they arriving earlier than your est deliver dates?

Mine was ordered 11/12/2014

In Production around 11/25/2014

But my est. Deliver date is 1/2/2015

I assumed it was a GTX 980 issue but it seems many of you are getting your tri GTX 980 orders and I'm just going for the one card for now.... what could be the hold up?

59 Posts

December 8th, 2014 20:00

5960X

Triple 980

16GB DDR4

Blu-Ray

256GB SSD + 4TB HDD 5.9K RPM

Windows 8.1 

Ordered on November 20th (ETA was January 14 2015)

In Production November 26th

Shipped December 5th

ETA (up to date) December 9th

27 Posts

December 8th, 2014 22:00

SocalPK

This is what I think- its not confirmed by anything.

I ordered the Area 51 - 2 separate times online.

Each time the order got cancelled- for some odd reason...

My delivery dates were like yours 1 to 2 months lead time...

Then the 3rd time I ordered my Area 51 -  I called and spoke with Alienware Sales Staff.  On November 24 I ordered the Area 51 and was given a Delivery Date of 8 December. The Area 51 actually arrived on 4 December. So that was less than 2 weeks. I ordered every single upgrade Cost 7,525.00.

So my take on this- is that Alienware (Dell) has a much faster delivery schedule for equipment ordered through Direct Sales Rep-  My guess is this is done to support the sales team- as well as the sales support team can push orders to front of line, Which you can not do ordering online. I also suppose that when ordered through Sales Support- there is probably overall- no Illegal configurations of the computer.

Not sure this helped.

8 Posts

December 8th, 2014 22:00

Brians4902, can you confirm Dell Part Numbers for the modular cables for the GPU... PCIE1 0TMR06 and PCIE3 0JPV3Y... PCIE2 ?... Nvidia Tri-SLi Bridge is GYN70... Trying to get Dell Support to supply parts without any luck. Thanks.

No Events found!