Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 27th, 2014 09:00

My Experience with the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (Late 2014): Compatibilities, Damages, and Other Issues

// Last update on October 5, 2015 | The unit is still in process for a resolution

// Last update on January 9, 2015 | The replacement units are damaged again (Pictures on page 6):  

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19608440?pi21932=6

// Last update on November 29, 2014 | Section on the drives and RAID

On November 4, 2014 I ordered my New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) with:

Intel Core i7-5960X (8 cores)

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit English

32GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz

128GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s Main + 2TB HDD 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage

Dual NVidia GeForce GTX Titan Z with 24GB Total (2x 12GB)

4 Year Alienware Enhanced Support

Total Price: $7,482.56 CAD

Estimated Delivery Date was for December 4, 2014.

On Tuesday November 25, 2014, I received my delivery with Purolator. As you can see in the two pictures below, I was happy until I saw the box was damaged.

The New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box had only 2 of 4 clips that hold the top-box to the base-box. Purolator delivered my Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box upside down.

2474.001.jpg

7455.002.jpg

Here is a sample of my conversation with the delivery guy:

Me: It would be nice to see the people to handle it with gently with care.

The Purolator Delivery Guy: Why would I? It’s just a big heavy box?!!

Me: Because you’re holding a super expensive computer the box is damaged. Do you still have the two missing clips that hold the box in place?

The Purolator Delivery Guy: No I don’t have them. I received your box like that when I loaded my truck this morning.

Me: Alright... I’m hoping everything is fine when I’ll open the box. Would it be possible to help me bring this big box upstairs? It’s a bit difficult to handle alone.

The Purolator Delivery Guy: Sure, I can.

Once we got on my apartment floor, I signed on the terminal for the reception of my delivery. Before he left, I told him: I’m worried my computer is damaged.

The Purolator Delivery Guy: It’s normal! The damages happen all the time for a delivery and if something happens to your computer please contact Dell. Plus there are no symbols, signs or icons to show that’s fragile or which side is up. How am I supposed to handle the box if there’s no indication. Normally this kind of box should not be delivered by one guy, but two. Also, the bottom was hanging out so I had to handle it upside down. The clips were not strong enough to hold the bottom part of the box. They should add more tape around it.

Me: Well, I guess they didn’t think that it was necessary.

I noticed Dell changed their packaging this year. They cheaped out a bit with the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box compared to the old Alienware Aurora R4 (2013) box. Here’s a video showing the unboxing of the Alienware Aurora R4 (2013) for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3irfNNI4U5Q

In order to show how the quality of the box has changed, I compared the previous year to this year.

From this YouTube video, you can definitely see the old Alienware Aurora R4 (2013) was really well packaged.

4010.AW A R4 000.jpg

You’ll notice there’s a symbol with an arrow on the box below the kid’s left hand showing the right side up. Also, at the same level on the box, there are other instruction symbols which are not on the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) packaging.

As you can see in the two pictures below, the big box contains two other boxes, each with padding on the corners.

3362.AW A R4 001.jpg

5305.AW A R4 002.jpg

One of those two boxes is accessories box, with foam compartments for the manuals instructions, discs, mouse, keyboard, power cord, mouse pad etc.

4747.AW A R4 003.jpg

The second box is the computer box that has 4 clips at the bottom.

7462.AW A R4 005.jpg

You have to remove the clips before pulling the upper part of the box.

3252.AW A R4 006.jpg

Inside that box you will find 4 foam corners padding the computer casing and with the computer case protected by a cover sheet, preventing scratches and rubbing the computer case against the foam.

3252.AW A R4 007.jpg

2604.AW A R4 008.jpg

As you can see, the Alienware Aurora R4 (2013) was really well packaged for transportation.

5327.AW A R4 009.jpg

For the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) Dell has omitted the necessary layers of protection and to secure the unit in place so it won’t have any accidents.

I detached the two remaining clips in order to pull up the upper part box to reveal the contents inside the box.

3660.003.jpg

As you can see the presentation of the Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box is unpleasant to see and is not grandiose like the previous one I showed above. At the top you‘ll notice the accessories box, however it is not padded like the prior model.

3005.004.jpg

On the top front and back of the computer there are two cardboard triangles, meant to stabilize the computer. However the triangles were squished and essentially useless.

Then the computer casing has a foam hat to cover the top of the computer. But the computer casing was not place correctly in the foam place holder base.

8551.005.jpg

The computer was actually standing on one side corner of the hexagon shape. The state of the two triangles cardboard that’s squished show that they were not strong enough to hold the computer casing in place when the delivery guy flipped the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box upside down during the transport. Another important mistake Dell made in the packaging that wasn't present in the previous year, is not having the computer casing covered with a cover sheet or a thin plastic film to prevent rubbing of the foam against the computer casing during transportation.

Due to the lack of protection on the casing, the casing was damaged. Below are pictures of the damage on the computer casing.

Scratches on the right door.

8551.006.jpg

Scratches on the left door.

3264.007.jpg

Scratches on the left door and dents on the black plastic frame and dust.

4331.008.jpg

Other dents on the black plastic frame.

8055.009.jpg

There’s a bend on the left metal frame edge where the left bottom door sits on before the door can be snapped on the casing.

0121.010.jpg

On the picture below, the left door has a gap because the left metal frame edge is bent inside the computer casing.

8463.011.jpg

The gap also prevents the left door LED light from lighting up because the contact doesn’t touch with the Alien FX connector. Also there's no stickers for Express Service Code and the Product Key for the Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit English.

I immediately called Dell.ca to report the issue. For the three hours, I was transferred back and forth between Canada USA where I had to explain my problem to 5-to-6 customer service agents before someone helped me submit a request an exchange.

After I finished the call with Dell Customer Service, I decided to look inside the accessories box:

2287.012.jpg

The box contained manuals instruction, Microsoft Windows 8.1 Recovery Disc, Alienware Disc, Power Cord, mouse and keyboard. The keyboard box was upside down. However there was no mouse pad, no DVI-to-VGA adapter, and no extra modular cable 6 pins to 8 pins to add a third GPU card.

4353.013.jpg

To be sure I wasn’t missing something, I looked inside the computer casing and effectively there’s is no extra modular preconfigured to add a third GPU card.

0143.014.jpg

Dell have completely removed the extra modular cables that were in position R3 and R4 of the power supply.

3757.015.jpg

However the cables should be there because I remember Eddy Goyanes (Alienware Marketing) mentioned the computer will be ship with the extra modular cable at 4:06/5:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xPG3AK9CE0

Joe Olmsted (Alienware Director of Product Planning) also talked about it here at 10:43/13:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-urlcdzvgA

On a side note, for those who want to know the specification of the standard ATX Power Supply 1500W, see the picture below or http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/DELL,INC_D1500EF-00_1500W_ECOS%203950_Report.pdf .

3757.016.jpg

Further, the choice for default drives that comes with the unit could be better. The main drive is a Samsung SSD PM851 | MZ7TE128HMGR. The specifications below will give you an idea of the performance you will get.

6136.017.jpg

4478.017 SSD.PNG

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/product/flash-ssd/detail?productId=7992&iaId=831

The storage drive is a Toshiba HDD | DAT01ACA200, which is average and manufactured on OCT-2014. The date is quite recent like you can see on the picture below.

8203.018.jpg

The HHD specifications and performance are like the other drives in the same category of 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB cache.

0268.018 HDD.PNG

http://storage.toshiba.com/storagesolutions/client/dt01aca-series

I’m curious to know what kind of drives Dell will put in the system when you upgrade for the option of 256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage or 512GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage. One thing for sure these upgrade come with a storage drive that run slower at 6kRPM compared to Toshiba HHD 2TB 7200RPM.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You will not be able to RAID your SSDs. Dell/Alienware don’t officially support the RAID for SSDs in the bays/SATA ports 4, 5, and 6. They made a really bad decision and design choice for the motherboard firmware.  Most of the hard-core enthusiasm gamers will be very angry and furious when they will try to install their SSDs in RAID 0, 1, 5 & 10.

4073.018 SSD.jpg

In my case, I can’t even RAIDed all my Intel SSDs 730 Series 480GB the way I want.

NB to Dell or Alienware: Please fix your motherboard firmware and please unlock all the SATA ports for the RAID mode and add the support for the NVMe. Your X99 high-end PC desktop should have all those options available.

To my surprise, my first initial boot up was already done by someone. It has a username of “ooba1”.

7181.019.png

I don’t know what happen there? Why is there no initial setup when you boot the first time the computer?

Another surprise, the Intel i7-5960X is not factory overclocked at 4.0GHz like they stated on www.alienware.ca.

5824.018.PNG

It was set at 3.0GHz which is the default speed set by Intel.

3276.019.PNG

To conclude, I’m a bit disappointed to see my New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) with all these damages with the delivery, the lack of good packaging, missing the extra modular cables, the issue with the RAID Mode, the initial booting was already done by another user and the Intel CPU i7-5960X was not factory overclocked at 4.0GHz. It feels like Dell was not ready to release and they were rushing to push this product out quickly.

8233.Winter2014.jpg

There is a snowstorm in Montreal Canada; winter is here. I hope the next delivery will be better, but I doubt they had the time to improve the packaging so that it is more adapted to the weather conditions and for transport like the older model.

27 Posts

December 8th, 2014 22:00

Good Luck Zero.

I hope your gear is in good order.

Keep us posted- Donovan is right - unless we post Alienware won't correct the poor packaging.

27 Posts

December 8th, 2014 22:00

Jonas200

I never really understand your posts????

You always indicate that Dell and ALienware are never at fault for the long delays, and cancelled orders, and that they have customer expectations first and foremost. But then you always state that Alienware is overcharging for components???

In the case of packaging- Alienware approved the package- nowhere on the box is it stated :

1.THIS SIDE UP,,  

2.HANDLE WITH CARE..

3.FRAGILE EQUIPMENT

So I put alot of the blame on Alienware... not the shipper... Do you think Fed Ex or UPS knows what Alienware is? I doubt it. Most people beside gamers- have no Idea what Alienware is.

Also- the package itself is FLIMSY and is not sturdy and barely holds the Computer in place... There is not enough internal foam support for such a heavy piece of equipment- which is why these boxes are being damaged. Granted the carrier should take care of shipment- But Since your logic states that all shippers are less than careful-- ALL THE MORE REASON FOR ALIENWARE TO PROVIDE BETTER PACKAGING.

One last thing- I think everyone gets your point that AW Owners pay a premium to buy Alienware Gear. You state that in every post- that Alienware users are overpaying for the components,

I would like to point out- I for one dont have the time nor patience to Build my own High End PC- Nor do I have the experience, I will gladly pay more money to have a quality machine with warranty and a company that will support me on an investment of 5,000.00 plus.

So I think you are missing the point in most Alienware Users. In my opinion.

I equate Alienware Users alot like Apple Users.. Loyal followers,,,

59 Posts

December 8th, 2014 23:00

I always order through a rep in Toronto. No way I'm talking to someone from India.

The problem is the discounts online do not always work ordering through the business side so expect to pay a little higher.

97 Posts

December 9th, 2014 03:00

I would like to point out- I for one dont have the time nor patience to Build my own High End PC- Nor do I have the experience, I will gladly pay more money to have a quality machine with warranty and a company that will support me on an investment of 5,000.00 plus.

So I think you are missing the point in most Alienware Users. In my opinion.

I don't think that's the situation for most Alienware customers...the company targets a whole spectrum of price points. I think most customers see some great value in buying a base system and doing radical makeovers and 3rd party upgrades to get the most out of the machine throughout the WHOLE product life cycle, the Alienware forums and multitude of YouTube clips is a testament to this happening on a wide scale.

For minority of gamers, they are a victims of a fallacy that a specc'ed out system at point of purchase is terrific value from price performance perspective, this is especially the current situation with some of the options for the R2 such as early adopter premium for DDR4 RAM and triple GTX 980 or 4-way SLI

With the DDR4 RAM, there is much more incentive to upgrade later next year to much cheaper and lower latency memory than pay a huge premium for last-gen performance. Even Apple customers can appreciate this with the exorbitant prices in the Apple Store.

With the SLI video card options, very often you are paying a lot of real money for the 3rd or 4th GPU for very little improvement or none at all due to lack of driver support and optimisation beyond 2-way SLI. I think I read a post about a customer configured a system with $3000 alone on the dual Geforce Titan Z. Also customers with triple GTX 980 are in a precarious position, as the next-gen manufacturing technology is arriving in a few short months (around Feb 2015), and people who are willing to upgrade their own systems later can likely buy the similar performance in a top end single GPU card for one third of AW's asking price for triple SLI.

I equate Alienware Users alot like Apple Users.. Loyal followers,,,

I can sort of agree with this except many Apple users are hopelessly bound to the OSX platform for some inexplicable reason and have very little option to do after market upgrades beyond the RAM.

47 Posts

December 9th, 2014 06:00

The Dell P/N for the 3way SLI bridge is correct - GYN70. Dell sent me one at no cost (overnight too)!

In my experience, you will also need the i7 5930k CPU with 40PCIx lanes in order for 3 way SLI to be enabled.

I ordered the 5820k and in 3way SLI - only 2 of the cards will link up. 5820k CPU only has 28lanes available.
I removed / disabled as many devices as i could - no luck. I know the M.2 card can use 4 lanes by itself so I thought that was the issue - no luck.

So I did some research online and only a handful of motherboard manufacturers (through bios) will allow 3way SLI with the 5820k CPU (8 lanes x 3).
Most will require the 5930k cpu for 3 way SLI.

I am sure as the new tech/hardware matures, so will the bios.

59 Posts

December 9th, 2014 08:00

Both my Area 51's came. No damage on either of the boxes.

59 Posts

December 9th, 2014 08:00

Hockey, to get around the lane issue with the 5820K, just buy a motherboard with 2 PLX chips and you'll get 16x 16x 16x 16x Quad SLI with the 5820K. The ASUS X99 WS-E has it and so does a few of the ASRock boards.

62 Posts

December 9th, 2014 10:00

I always order through a rep in Toronto.

Zero989,

I added you as friend because I have a question that I like to send you in private message.

62 Posts

brians4902

Nope, I still waiting for my Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014). Dell/Alienware told me the new replacement should arrived within 7 to 10 days. Now we are at 14th days and they don't know when they'll be able to send me the new unit because they don't have enough parts for the 32GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz and the 2TB HDD 7200 RPM.

At this rate, I might be already on vacation with all the Alienware stress.lol

26 Posts

SocalPK

This is what I think- its not confirmed by anything.

I ordered the Area 51 - 2 separate times online.

Each time the order got cancelled- for some odd reason...

My delivery dates were like yours 1 to 2 months lead time...

Then the 3rd time I ordered my Area 51 -  I called and spoke with Alienware Sales Staff.  On November 24 I ordered the Area 51 and was given a Delivery Date of 8 December. The Area 51 actually arrived on 4 December. So that was less than 2 weeks. I ordered every single upgrade Cost 7,525.00.

So my take on this- is that Alienware (Dell) has a much faster delivery schedule for equipment ordered through Direct Sales Rep-  My guess is this is done to support the sales team- as well as the sales support team can push orders to front of line, Which you can not do ordering online. I also suppose that when ordered through Sales Support- there is probably overall- no Illegal configurations of the computer.

Not sure this helped.

Ah, more clues! Except I did order thorough a rep. in fact initially I worked with a chat rep who found all sorts of nice things for me including discounts and a free tablet but my CC company didn't allow the purchase and the order was cancelled so I could contact the CC and confirm that it was me making the purchase and got the all clear. Not sure why they cancel the order immediately rather than give it 24hrs to get an approval but whatever. Called them the next day and dealt with someone who was pretty hard to understand and we reworked the order, when the est. delivery date came up I even asked why such a long time and I got the runaround answer of it has to be custom built and tested. I just assumed it was the GTX 980 because the website configurator changed the shipped dates based on their selection. But as people began getting their orders with tri GTX 980's I had to wonder...but now I am perplexed. I am wondering if my order lost the free tablet too but I just hate getting on the phone and having a hard time understanding what is being said! 

26 Posts

5960X

Triple 980

16GB DDR4

Blu-Ray

256GB SSD + 4TB HDD 5.9K RPM

Windows 8.1 

Ordered on November 20th (ETA was January 14 2015)

In Production November 26th

Shipped December 5th

ETA (up to date) December 9th

Thanks for the info. I just don't know what to make of it. Clearly my order is getting the backseat based on the dates and it's not the GTX 980 availability as I initially believed, Perhaps it's because it's a much less expensive purchase, and Dell is prioritizing based on invoice income. Glad to hear your order arrived in good condition today!

47 Posts

December 9th, 2014 14:00

Yea, I am or rather was tempted to just dump the MicroStar motherboard of Dell's.

I was a little bit worried about losing the lights/fan control through ACC.
In the past I have been successful with replacing the Aurora and Area 51 R1 motherboards and still getting everything to work.

In the end, I cant overcome the fact that I just spent $1800 on a brand new machine and now swapping motherboards. I already upgraded the Ram and moved my old video cards over. 

I just picked up a brand new Core i7 5930k cpu for $450 on ebay. Not sure what that guy was thinking. He had 4 brand new in box and they all sold within 5 minutes lol. My wife is gonna be pissed....!
I am hoping to get the 3way SLI functional with this CPU. We will see...

Anyways, for those interested, the stock Dell motherboard will take faster RAM.
Here is my machine running a Crucial 16GB DDR4 - 2400Mhz kit (photo below).
I did have a mini-heart attack though.  Installed, boot up - no BIOS or POST.
Shut it back down, repowered and then i get the error "memory changed".

Bios reports correct speed/latency..etc. Crucial P/N BLS4K4G4D240FSA.

IMG_2038.JPG

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Both my Area 51's came. No damage on either of the boxes.

That's encouraging.
But was the box packing was the same as displayed in this thread's pics?
- 4 black plastic retainers holding the bottom of the box in
- Only card-board (no foam) surrounding the upper triad (holding it in place and protecting it when tipped).

59 Posts

There is foam on the top, the screenshots in the first post has the Area 51 at the WRONG ANGLE. Whoever packed his PC is an idiot.

On both my Area 51 R2 boxes, there are the 4 plastic retainer clips. 8 total. 0 missing. Lucky me I guess :s.

123.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 9th, 2014 15:00

1. There is foam on the top,

2. the screenshots in the first post has the Area 51 at the WRONG ANGLE. Whoever packed his PC is an idiot.

3. On both my Area 51 R2 boxes, there are the 4 plastic retainer clips. 8 total. 0 missing. Lucky me I guess :s.

Thanks for taking the time to post this pic.

1. Good. But since it doesn't expand the whole width of the box top, do you feel that the card-board corners can support the weight of the tower-top if tipped on it's side or upside-down?

2. I think maybe the box fell apart (likely at the bottom) and the shipper tried to re-box with little care to contents. Just went down-hill from there.

3. Good. Yes, that is key to keeping the bottom in and machine "boxed-up". I pretty sure that equipment boxed like this is not meant to be carried from the sides (only held under the bottom). They try to make it "all easy" to just lift the top off ... but I think a conventional box (with a real bottom) would be better in this case.

No Events found!