Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 27th, 2014 09:00

My Experience with the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (Late 2014): Compatibilities, Damages, and Other Issues

// Last update on October 5, 2015 | The unit is still in process for a resolution

// Last update on January 9, 2015 | The replacement units are damaged again (Pictures on page 6):  

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19608440?pi21932=6

// Last update on November 29, 2014 | Section on the drives and RAID

On November 4, 2014 I ordered my New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) with:

Intel Core i7-5960X (8 cores)

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit English

32GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz

128GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s Main + 2TB HDD 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage

Dual NVidia GeForce GTX Titan Z with 24GB Total (2x 12GB)

4 Year Alienware Enhanced Support

Total Price: $7,482.56 CAD

Estimated Delivery Date was for December 4, 2014.

On Tuesday November 25, 2014, I received my delivery with Purolator. As you can see in the two pictures below, I was happy until I saw the box was damaged.

The New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box had only 2 of 4 clips that hold the top-box to the base-box. Purolator delivered my Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box upside down.

2474.001.jpg

7455.002.jpg

Here is a sample of my conversation with the delivery guy:

Me: It would be nice to see the people to handle it with gently with care.

The Purolator Delivery Guy: Why would I? It’s just a big heavy box?!!

Me: Because you’re holding a super expensive computer the box is damaged. Do you still have the two missing clips that hold the box in place?

The Purolator Delivery Guy: No I don’t have them. I received your box like that when I loaded my truck this morning.

Me: Alright... I’m hoping everything is fine when I’ll open the box. Would it be possible to help me bring this big box upstairs? It’s a bit difficult to handle alone.

The Purolator Delivery Guy: Sure, I can.

Once we got on my apartment floor, I signed on the terminal for the reception of my delivery. Before he left, I told him: I’m worried my computer is damaged.

The Purolator Delivery Guy: It’s normal! The damages happen all the time for a delivery and if something happens to your computer please contact Dell. Plus there are no symbols, signs or icons to show that’s fragile or which side is up. How am I supposed to handle the box if there’s no indication. Normally this kind of box should not be delivered by one guy, but two. Also, the bottom was hanging out so I had to handle it upside down. The clips were not strong enough to hold the bottom part of the box. They should add more tape around it.

Me: Well, I guess they didn’t think that it was necessary.

I noticed Dell changed their packaging this year. They cheaped out a bit with the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box compared to the old Alienware Aurora R4 (2013) box. Here’s a video showing the unboxing of the Alienware Aurora R4 (2013) for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3irfNNI4U5Q

In order to show how the quality of the box has changed, I compared the previous year to this year.

From this YouTube video, you can definitely see the old Alienware Aurora R4 (2013) was really well packaged.

4010.AW A R4 000.jpg

You’ll notice there’s a symbol with an arrow on the box below the kid’s left hand showing the right side up. Also, at the same level on the box, there are other instruction symbols which are not on the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) packaging.

As you can see in the two pictures below, the big box contains two other boxes, each with padding on the corners.

3362.AW A R4 001.jpg

5305.AW A R4 002.jpg

One of those two boxes is accessories box, with foam compartments for the manuals instructions, discs, mouse, keyboard, power cord, mouse pad etc.

4747.AW A R4 003.jpg

The second box is the computer box that has 4 clips at the bottom.

7462.AW A R4 005.jpg

You have to remove the clips before pulling the upper part of the box.

3252.AW A R4 006.jpg

Inside that box you will find 4 foam corners padding the computer casing and with the computer case protected by a cover sheet, preventing scratches and rubbing the computer case against the foam.

3252.AW A R4 007.jpg

2604.AW A R4 008.jpg

As you can see, the Alienware Aurora R4 (2013) was really well packaged for transportation.

5327.AW A R4 009.jpg

For the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) Dell has omitted the necessary layers of protection and to secure the unit in place so it won’t have any accidents.

I detached the two remaining clips in order to pull up the upper part box to reveal the contents inside the box.

3660.003.jpg

As you can see the presentation of the Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box is unpleasant to see and is not grandiose like the previous one I showed above. At the top you‘ll notice the accessories box, however it is not padded like the prior model.

3005.004.jpg

On the top front and back of the computer there are two cardboard triangles, meant to stabilize the computer. However the triangles were squished and essentially useless.

Then the computer casing has a foam hat to cover the top of the computer. But the computer casing was not place correctly in the foam place holder base.

8551.005.jpg

The computer was actually standing on one side corner of the hexagon shape. The state of the two triangles cardboard that’s squished show that they were not strong enough to hold the computer casing in place when the delivery guy flipped the New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) box upside down during the transport. Another important mistake Dell made in the packaging that wasn't present in the previous year, is not having the computer casing covered with a cover sheet or a thin plastic film to prevent rubbing of the foam against the computer casing during transportation.

Due to the lack of protection on the casing, the casing was damaged. Below are pictures of the damage on the computer casing.

Scratches on the right door.

8551.006.jpg

Scratches on the left door.

3264.007.jpg

Scratches on the left door and dents on the black plastic frame and dust.

4331.008.jpg

Other dents on the black plastic frame.

8055.009.jpg

There’s a bend on the left metal frame edge where the left bottom door sits on before the door can be snapped on the casing.

0121.010.jpg

On the picture below, the left door has a gap because the left metal frame edge is bent inside the computer casing.

8463.011.jpg

The gap also prevents the left door LED light from lighting up because the contact doesn’t touch with the Alien FX connector. Also there's no stickers for Express Service Code and the Product Key for the Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit English.

I immediately called Dell.ca to report the issue. For the three hours, I was transferred back and forth between Canada USA where I had to explain my problem to 5-to-6 customer service agents before someone helped me submit a request an exchange.

After I finished the call with Dell Customer Service, I decided to look inside the accessories box:

2287.012.jpg

The box contained manuals instruction, Microsoft Windows 8.1 Recovery Disc, Alienware Disc, Power Cord, mouse and keyboard. The keyboard box was upside down. However there was no mouse pad, no DVI-to-VGA adapter, and no extra modular cable 6 pins to 8 pins to add a third GPU card.

4353.013.jpg

To be sure I wasn’t missing something, I looked inside the computer casing and effectively there’s is no extra modular preconfigured to add a third GPU card.

0143.014.jpg

Dell have completely removed the extra modular cables that were in position R3 and R4 of the power supply.

3757.015.jpg

However the cables should be there because I remember Eddy Goyanes (Alienware Marketing) mentioned the computer will be ship with the extra modular cable at 4:06/5:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xPG3AK9CE0

Joe Olmsted (Alienware Director of Product Planning) also talked about it here at 10:43/13:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-urlcdzvgA

On a side note, for those who want to know the specification of the standard ATX Power Supply 1500W, see the picture below or http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/DELL,INC_D1500EF-00_1500W_ECOS%203950_Report.pdf .

3757.016.jpg

Further, the choice for default drives that comes with the unit could be better. The main drive is a Samsung SSD PM851 | MZ7TE128HMGR. The specifications below will give you an idea of the performance you will get.

6136.017.jpg

4478.017 SSD.PNG

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/product/flash-ssd/detail?productId=7992&iaId=831

The storage drive is a Toshiba HDD | DAT01ACA200, which is average and manufactured on OCT-2014. The date is quite recent like you can see on the picture below.

8203.018.jpg

The HHD specifications and performance are like the other drives in the same category of 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB cache.

0268.018 HDD.PNG

http://storage.toshiba.com/storagesolutions/client/dt01aca-series

I’m curious to know what kind of drives Dell will put in the system when you upgrade for the option of 256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage or 512GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage. One thing for sure these upgrade come with a storage drive that run slower at 6kRPM compared to Toshiba HHD 2TB 7200RPM.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You will not be able to RAID your SSDs. Dell/Alienware don’t officially support the RAID for SSDs in the bays/SATA ports 4, 5, and 6. They made a really bad decision and design choice for the motherboard firmware.  Most of the hard-core enthusiasm gamers will be very angry and furious when they will try to install their SSDs in RAID 0, 1, 5 & 10.

4073.018 SSD.jpg

In my case, I can’t even RAIDed all my Intel SSDs 730 Series 480GB the way I want.

NB to Dell or Alienware: Please fix your motherboard firmware and please unlock all the SATA ports for the RAID mode and add the support for the NVMe. Your X99 high-end PC desktop should have all those options available.

To my surprise, my first initial boot up was already done by someone. It has a username of “ooba1”.

7181.019.png

I don’t know what happen there? Why is there no initial setup when you boot the first time the computer?

Another surprise, the Intel i7-5960X is not factory overclocked at 4.0GHz like they stated on www.alienware.ca.

5824.018.PNG

It was set at 3.0GHz which is the default speed set by Intel.

3276.019.PNG

To conclude, I’m a bit disappointed to see my New Alienware Area 51 R2 (2014) with all these damages with the delivery, the lack of good packaging, missing the extra modular cables, the issue with the RAID Mode, the initial booting was already done by another user and the Intel CPU i7-5960X was not factory overclocked at 4.0GHz. It feels like Dell was not ready to release and they were rushing to push this product out quickly.

8233.Winter2014.jpg

There is a snowstorm in Montreal Canada; winter is here. I hope the next delivery will be better, but I doubt they had the time to improve the packaging so that it is more adapted to the weather conditions and for transport like the older model.

62 Posts

December 15th, 2014 17:00

Donovan

That snow looks miserable. How do you know which car is yours?

But today it is 78 degrees in Florida and my dogs are enjoying the Sun. LOL

I still can not believe Alienware has not replaced the Area 51 damaged in shipping.

I would be so peaved.....

brians4902

To find your car, you will have to beep your car with your remote control.lol

Here, the temperature is around 0 to 18 degree Fahrenheit. The kind of weather where people don't want to walk outside because you can easily slip on the ice and fall on your back. Imagine the delivery guy coming with my new Alienware Area 51 R2.lol

(Yeah... It's been three weeks now and I still waiting for my replacement.)

8 Posts

December 15th, 2014 18:00

-0930-

Are you sure that's the part number for PCIE2? Because the parts department gave me 9P0X0 for the PCIE2/R3~R4.

Do you have the same part number for PCIE1/R1~R2 is 0TMR06 and PCIE3/R5~R6 is 0JPV3Y?

I ordered HPDD5 x2 with the Triple SLI bridge GYN70. According to the operator I spoke with that was the part number. I have the same PCIE1 and PCIE3 cables.

TMR06 = PSU (6P) to GFX (8P) power cable, PCIE1
HPDD5 = PSU (6P) to GFX (8P) power cable, PCIE2
JPV3Y = PSU (6P) to GFX (8P) power cable, PCIE3
40NMJ = Dual-SLI bridge
GYN70 = Tri-SLI bridge

8 Posts

December 16th, 2014 00:00

Could someone who got the R2 with a blu-ray drive post a picture of the drive with the information on it. 

DP/N 05CTFV

Model UJ167

Panasonic

Power Supply DC 5V 1.6A

47 Posts

December 16th, 2014 04:00

Hello,
Yes, im running at 2400mhz and I am pretty sure it will support higher.
I found out through crucial's online memory configuration tool. It was a gamble, but i ordered and it worked.

The only issue experienced is upon installation, the first boot up produced a blank screen.
 I powered down, and then powered up again and got the memory changed F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup. All was good after that.

This is a MicroStar (MSI to PC builders) motherboard. That being said I couldnt find any consumer based X99 boards that match up to what the Area 51 R2 is using. I am guessing it will probably support higher but it is a gamble.

Dell will only certify baseline speeds (what they test to).

December 18th, 2014 09:00

I always make sure I get all PCI video slots filled and all memory slots filled since in the past I was burnt finding out they don't work after owning a PC for years.  Hence I have 4 x 8 Gig of RAM and 3 Radeon 290X Video Cards.   Also as a result I have all the power cables for video cards.

BTW, I had to download the USB driver update for my Area 51 R2 at the dell site as my SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports where not running at superspeed.

December 18th, 2014 09:00

Note that the clock speed shown is the base clock speed. To select overclocking go to the Command Center OC application and select level 2.  You can then see the clock speed increase to about 3.9GHZ as part of the turbo boost but only when the system is stressed. Prime95 is a good free application to stress your CPU.   You can see CPU clock speed in the Command Center or with a application like CPUID.

62 Posts

December 18th, 2014 21:00

BTW, I had to download the USB driver update for my Area 51 R2 at the dell site as my SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ports where not running at superspeed.

Where did you find an update for the USB driver. I'm not seeing anything on the site. 

thanks,

59 Posts

December 18th, 2014 21:00

Windows 8 has native USB3 support, he probably has Win 7 Pro.

December 19th, 2014 10:00

Sorry, I am running Windows 7 Pro so there may be no update for Windows 8 or 8.1

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 19th, 2014 11:00

On a side note if you plan to install your own GPU you won't have this video card extension plate which is attached to the GPU with three thumbscrews and the support frame. Don't think it is all that necessary and I haven't been able to locate a part number. Can anyone here confirm this part number? thanks
-0930-

Possibly one of these two? But would they attach to a retail video card? Unknown.
HVJPR Video card retainer
V030X Video card lock

Someone with the Dell OEM 980 needs to disassemble it and look for the 5 digit part number on the plastic plate.

47 Posts

December 19th, 2014 13:00

That plate with the (3) screws on Nvidia video cards is called a card extender.
This is not a Dell part but an actual Nvidia part shipped with OEM GTX 770s, 780s...etc.

The nvidia part number for a GTX 770 is 320-0866-001.
Different cards will probably call out a different NVPN (different card lengths).
The plate is powdercoated steel - very rigid. The card extenders that ship with OEM Radeon cards are plastic.

I have 3 brand new Nvidia GTX 970s and the 3 screw holes are present in the heat sink.
I also have an EVGA GTX 780Ti - with the titan style cooler and it has them as well.
The common factor is the Titan style cooler.

I like the idea of the added stability these bring with heavy video cards so I searched high and low for them. They just dont exist as a standalone part.

I have 3 OEM GTX 970s installed in my Area 51R2 and was very surprised how well they are in there without those brackets. Some of that may be attributed to the angle of the cards.

Short story - you do NOT need them.

If you want more info - google "Nvidia Card Extender" and read the PDF for the Tesla K20 card. Page 8 will be what your looking for.

3 Posts

December 19th, 2014 17:00

Great info.  Found one of the extenders could'nt have found them without you

www.sabrepc.com/nvidia-320-0866-000-long-extender-w-offset-for-tesla-k20.html

47 Posts

December 19th, 2014 19:00

The only thing I would caution is to pay attention to the length of card extender.

They make a few different part numbers, each with different lengths.
I found the p/n mentioned above for the GTX 770 fit and worked fine with my EVGA GTX 780Ti.

1 Message

December 20th, 2014 15:00

I ordered the exact same configuration(cut back a bit because changing the standard would prolong the shipping date by almost a month!). In the cart it gave a 12/30/2014 est shipping date,but by the time I finished paying ( using my own CC's not financing from them),the date jumped to 01/5/2015. I found out the next day,they aren't shipping any out till the end of December!. This could either advertise this and/or tell you at any time during the proccess of decision.After reading & seeing so many bad things,now your issues about the inabilities to upgrade later in so many areas!. I wonder if Id be the idiot for NOT canceling my order?. May I ask,are you going through with your order,if so(Honestly),may I ask why?. Side note: I feel soo bad for that guy/Kid  who started this thread with his horrible shipping (in Canada) & damaged computer.

December 20th, 2014 17:00

Got my replacement Area 51 R2 on Monday.  Everything is working fine so far.  Original received Nov 21 but it started crashing after a week so Dell agreed to replace it.   Even though it was a hassle, I am glad I bought the machine. Fast and an awesome case which is actually cool (temperature wise) inside.

No Events found!