Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2017 20:00

My alienware area-51 R2 keeps freezing during games?

I have the area-51 R2 my video card that came with it was failing some light things and etc. so i upgraded and switched it out with the geforce gtx 1080 which has been really great but it seems after playing 30 min of game the computer freezes and i cant do anything but reset it by holding down the power button. I tried my best doing it on my own asking my friend and even taking it to the shop and everyone said it says everything is running normal and they are not lieing nothing is failing or having issues but I know my computer is built better than just to freeze after 30 min of game play. I also notice that when i touch the video card it gets really hot.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 20:00

Does it pass ePSA test (outside of Windows)?

Inside Windows, start CPUID HW-Monitor while idle. Then start gaming.

Stop before it crashes or hard-locks.

Is you max temp of CPU cores, CPU package, or GPU (1080) over 80c?

Have you tried setting Command Center:

Thermals: Manual (User Control), then for each fan a nice "up-hill" Curve?

AlienFusion: High Performance (or just set in Windows Power Profile)

What does it say in your Windows Reliability Report... and Criticals?

7 Posts

March 23rd, 2017 12:00

i have not run the epsa test i dont know how. I did run my evga precision thing and this is before the game and after the game. the first one is

game on the 2nd is when game is off and is currently without games up. im running the curve on the fans right now so hopeuflly it fixes the issue.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 13:00

No. I don't currently own an EVGA card. Nor do I use or support EVGA Precision Utility in these Dell forums. Since your machine is unstable, I think the only thing you need to do with that is RETURN ALL TO STOCK CLOCKS AND DEFAULT SETTINGS and stop using it for now.

You posted a request for help. I provided you with several troubleshooting steps and recommendations. Apparently, you pushed them all aside and did your own thing. I'm confused by this. Well, anyway, good luck with your problem.

You can access ePSA from the F12 BIOS Boot Menu.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN116413/running-epsa-built-in-diagnostics-on-your-alienware-system?lang=EN

7 Posts

March 23rd, 2017 13:00

ok i didnt ask  you if you owned one. it came with it and yes i am asking for help because no matter what i do it still freezes during gameplay. it lasted an hour then froze. I tried to curve the fans but still froze. I dont understand how i pushed them aside since im going off one by one.

March 23rd, 2017 16:00

Last Year I bought an EVGA 980TI Classified and sold it short after. the GPU fan didn't like to be mounted diagonaly in A51. one of the fans, near back of the PC couldn't spin properly. which caused higher temps then usually, black screen, and minor freezes. no hard lockups but freezes. you could literally see the fan wobble around.
oh and Precision X is garbage. did you notice how the card fans speed up to 100% for like a second even if the card is idle? i saw it happening with different PCs. if you need something like that, use MSI Afterburner.

like Tesla already posted:
1. run the EPSE Test.
2. Check Windows Reliability Report
3. OPen HW Monitor, start gaming in windowed mode, and watch the temps

and 4. open the case and check if the GPU fans spin properly.

i hope it helps in some way.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 18:00

xabris wrote:

1a. everyone said it says everything is running normal and they are not lieing nothing is failing or having issues

1b. but I know my computer is built better than just to freeze after 30 min of game play.

2. I also notice that when i touch the video card it gets really hot.

1. Sentences 1a and 1b are contradictory.

It sounds to me like it is NOT running normally. It IS failing and having issues.

2. Yes, they all run hot (especially a GTX-1080) ... Question is ... how hot? That is what we are trying to find out. I personally think 85c is pretty close to the limit.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 18:00

Your best chance to fix it is to go through the machine in a methodical manner. You can't really skip-around.

Between CarbonBasedLifeform‌ and myself, we have suggested 5 or 6 things. Try them and report back. Also, be sure to answer any questions we ask. We use your responses to formulate the next steps (if required). We do this in our spare time.

If you have paid for a Dell extended warranty, you can call phone support instead.

7 Posts

March 24th, 2017 09:00

ok I just got done running the EPSE test and everything passed even asked to check memory which can take 30 min but it took literally all night. All the fans are working properly. How do i open HW monitor?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 24th, 2017 10:00

So, the ePSA passed ... that's a good sign. While not a 100% assurance that your "hardware is good" it is definitely a step in the right direction.

You can get CPUID HW-Monitor here. Use the 64bit version.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Min will be Windows-10/64bit at idle Desktop. Max will be while gaming. Upload a screenshot.

7 Posts

March 27th, 2017 17:00

sorry for the late reply took it to the shop while i had to work all weekend and here is the screenshot while playing ghost recon wildlands

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 27th, 2017 20:00

GPU Temps look ok. Is this with all GPU-OC off?

Would you be willing to run both the CPU and GPU at stock-clocks for now, and until it's been working 100% for a while?

7 Posts

March 27th, 2017 21:00

Ok i can but in the mean time i been on the phone with a tech from evge and after awhile of figuring things out and downloading stuff he suspects its my power supply. do you think its possible? because I ran the curve fans and it lets me game for about 2 hours then freeze. If you don't think that then well toss out the idea.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 27th, 2017 22:00

Anything is possible, but the stock Area51-R2 850w PS should be able to handle a single GTX-1080 no problem.

1. If the eVGA GTX-1080 has two separate 6-8 pin power plugs on it ... do you have:

-  2 separate power cables going down to the card

- or just 1, and it plugs into both (1 cable splits to 2 plugs) ? 

2. So, when it ran for 2 hours before the crash ... were either the CPU or the GPU Over-Clocked?

7 Posts

March 27th, 2017 22:00

1. I dont know if this counts as one or 2 but i just took a pic. It came with that adapter which i thought that was the answer to everything and it is not still does it.

2. no it wasnt overclocked, all i did was turn the curve on like this for both my fans

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 27th, 2017 23:00

1. Looks like some kind of dual 6-pin to single 8-pin adapter.

a. Don't you have a native 8-pinner from the Area51-R2 PS ... that you can just connect directly and simply?

b.  Additionally ... you still have a 6/8pin cable going directly to the motherboard, right? IIRC, should be near the video-card PCIe slots. Should be marked GPU-Power or similar.

2a. Good. Keep all CPU and GPU Over-Clocking off for now, and for the foreseeable future. Your GTX-1080 is fast-a-plenty and right now you need STABLE (not 10% faster). Get my drift?

2b. That Curve is fine for now ... good work.

No Events found!