xabris
1 Nickel

Re: My alienware area-51 R2 keeps freezing during games?

sorry for the late reply took it to the shop while i had to work all weekend and here is the screenshot while playing ghost recon wildlands

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

GPU Temps look ok. Is this with all GPU-OC off?

Would you be willing to run both the CPU and GPU at stock-clocks for now, and until it's been working 100% for a while?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
xabris
1 Nickel

Ok i can but in the mean time i been on the phone with a tech from evge and after awhile of figuring things out and downloading stuff he suspects its my power supply. do you think its possible? because I ran the curve fans and it lets me game for about 2 hours then freeze. If you don't think that then well toss out the idea.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Anything is possible, but the stock Area51-R2 850w PS should be able to handle a single GTX-1080 no problem.

1. If the eVGA GTX-1080 has two separate 6-8 pin power plugs on it ... do you have:

-  2 separate power cables going down to the card

- or just 1, and it plugs into both (1 cable splits to 2 plugs) ? 

2. So, when it ran for 2 hours before the crash ... were either the CPU or the GPU Over-Clocked?

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
xabris
1 Nickel

1. I dont know if this counts as one or 2 but i just took a pic. It came with that adapter which i thought that was the answer to everything and it is not still does it.

2. no it wasnt overclocked, all i did was turn the curve on like this for both my fans

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

1. Looks like some kind of dual 6-pin to single 8-pin adapter.

a. Don't you have a native 8-pinner from the Area51-R2 PS ... that you can just connect directly and simply?

b.  Additionally ... you still have a 6/8pin cable going directly to the motherboard, right? IIRC, should be near the video-card PCIe slots. Should be marked GPU-Power or similar.

2a. Good. Keep all CPU and GPU Over-Clocking off for now, and for the foreseeable future. Your GTX-1080 is fast-a-plenty and right now you need STABLE (not 10% faster). Get my drift?

2b. That Curve is fine for now ... good work.

0 Kudos

Area 51 R2 comes with 4 x 6+2 pin PCIe Cables. they are mounted at the bottom of the case. so no adapter needed. that could be the issue.

you're doing a great job Tesla. Dell should pay you for your help.

Area 51-R2, BIOS A10, i7-5820K @ 4.0 GHz, Crucial Tactical 64 GB @ 2666 MHz, Titan X(P),

Samsung 960 Pro M2 SSD, Crucial MX300 SSD, 1500W Dell PSU, Win10 Home, Yoda USB Guard Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
AAA737flyer
4 Germanium

Don't mean to jump in here but here is one suggestion.

The one pic you posted shows the Alienware case thermal fan setup which is fine, however that does little to cool the GPU. It will however help dissipate the GPU heat from the case. 

EVGA cards have a method of keeping their cards quiet and that is to keep the GPU fan off as long as possible or running as slowly as possible. In fact during non-gaming activities the card's fan(s) rarely turn when left to EVGA fan priorities.

The second pic shows your PrecisionX fan setup and I noticed it is set to "auto." I would recommend you click on that area to manually set up a fan profile to run on auto if you haven't done so already. Make the profile aggressive at first to see if the new fan settings make a difference. In other words, at an idle load have the GPU fan run at 800-1000 rpm's (or percentage of max rpm) at room temp (say 70F / ~20C), then increase the rpm's aggressively on the fan profile temperature chart with increasing rpm's (or percentage of max rpm) to reach max fan rpm's at no less than 85F ~30C). You select the temp/rpm by left-click-and-hold on the fan profile line and drag the line to the intersection of temp/rpm (percentage of max rpm) and release.

I'll post my fan cure below.

Once you set up your profile you will need to select "Apply" to save it and select a profile number on the bottom of the PrecX and save it as well.

If this doesn't help, you may want to change your Priority from Power to Temp in order to force the card to throttle back once it hits the temp target of 83F. 

Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Please try again. Maybe save to your PC first. That image URL points to your Hotmail.

0 Kudos
AAA737flyer
4 Germanium

Thanks,

The pic was displayed earlier so I'm not sure what happened. I guess I haven't figured out how to copy a picture directly to the post using cntr+v per forum direction so attachments will have to do.

It also took several hours for a post with a hyper link to post a few days ago. With the new forum I lost my RS status which I never really participated in other than helping here.

0 Kudos