Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2012 03:00

My m18x makes alarming sounds and have a black screen...

Hi. Well this morning my little boy woke up before me, and got up. Minutes later I wake up to alarming sounds and run out. My alienware has a black screen and keeps repeting this annoying bleeping noice. I shut the comp off, and the noice etc stops. But now each time I try to start, the screen is black and that noice comes back. I try hitting esc etc, to get away from it. But nothing seems to help. Any idea on what he might have done, and what I can do to get pass this?

9 Posts

April 21st, 2012 04:00

OK. If it´s as bad as it seems. Nothing helps. I see no text or nothing. I tried to put in my installation disc as well, but that didn´t do   and now I can´t get it out. I have alot of family photos etc on the comp that I would like to have. Is there a way to access the harddrive so I could get it out IF I can´t save the computer from the state it´s in now? It must be alarming me for something. But what?

901 Posts

April 21st, 2012 05:00

That does not sound good, especially if you have nothing at all coming up on the screen, did he spill some liquid on it?

If you did'nt see what he done, there are way to many possabilties to diagnose without pulling the thing apart and testing items, he could have started an update (ie BIOS) and turned the laptop off in the middle, the list is endless.

Check the laptop and AC power supply carefully for any damage whether it is water or physical. Otherwise, I hope you have a warranty.

As for the Hard drive, I think you will be OK recovering that, if you have a freind who's got another alienware or dell computer you may be able to boot into windows (safe Mode) on that computer with your hard drive and recover what you need without paying anyone for recovery services

Good Luck

9 Posts

April 21st, 2012 07:00

No, he didn´t spill anything cause it was all dry when I ran up. I´m guessing he must have pushed some buttons like crazy, and have it die like that. The annoying part is that no text comes up, so I have nu clue what to do. I can´t get into bios either. At least pressing F12 when I power it on doesn´t help. The signal is 4 high pitched bleeps in a row, then pause for 2 secs and then repeat.

1.2K Posts

April 21st, 2012 07:00

well 4 beeps usually refers to memory error on M18X  im not sure how to access ram dimms but you can try removing and reseting? and if no work try one stick only then other on its own see if it will post. just an option based on your *beep* code which give the problems

refer here: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=496582&doclang=en&l=en&s=dhs

1.2K Posts

April 21st, 2012 08:00

shipping can work parts loose, then vibration from hard drive/fans ect moving ti around can cause it to further loose connection, its possible one stick or all failed its a fact of electronics they fail randomly  but you can check

here:  lmgtfy.com

and here  forum.notebookreview.com/.../583324-ram-upgrade-m18x-pics.html

i would sugest if your not comfortable with tearign apart your laptop  dell tech support will even help you if need be so as not to void warranty call dell tech support tell them its getting 4 beeps on post and nothing happens  they will look at exact info i posted determine ram issue and dispatch someone out to swap it out assuming you have warranty  they may also get you to try other things like power dissipation ect......

the bottom ram dimms are easy to access , its the top ones under keyboard i worry about if your not very tech savy you can damage parts like the ring around the keyboard, i know this form my m17X  IT WAS HARD ENOUGH lol

9 Posts

April 21st, 2012 08:00

OK. But how could he have damaged those? And also, is there somewhere I can look to see where the ram dimms is so I can remove them, and put them back in place?

1.2K Posts

April 21st, 2012 09:00

you have 4gig 8 gig 16 gig  ram? if 16 you will have 2 on both sides  8 gig might have 4 2 gig  not sure tho of original config

9 Posts

I have 16 Gigs... So I would have to get to those other two that wasn´t in that video. BAH!!!

9 Posts

Ohh, and the warranty is gone, although I have this house warranty, and I think that one would include my computer if it brakes.

9 Posts

Well that didn´t help. :( I tried removing one, switching places of them etc. But the BEEP from   kept on coming. Could it be anything else then the place that they are sitting at? I have no problem assembling the RAMS. But where can I find the once under my keyboard? That link I got, and those RAMs was very easy to take away.

901 Posts

April 21st, 2012 10:00

Try this:

1. remove battery and disconnect power supply

2. hold down power button for 20 seconds

3. insert battery and reconnect power supply and try booting up

901 Posts

6622.Capture5.PNG

901 Posts

if not luck with first reboot, try rebooting one more time, sometime takes two reboots after this procedure

1.2K Posts

actually both side were in the link i posted i even stated becarefull removing the bezel around keyboard....  thing is ONLY try posting with 1 stick at a time if that dont remove that stick and try another ..... and so on   backside is simple removing keyboard is harder  and the link i posted does show pics on it the post further down ,  anyway if it dont post with all 4 stick one at a time try another ram slot ,  then other ram slot with one stick its possible ram slot is bad or cpu has shifted (doubtfull but happens a few times in my life so far)

9 Posts

April 21st, 2012 12:00

But how do I test it when keyboard and   is gone? Those two at the bottom was easy, cause I could put the rest back and plugin etc without a problem. But doing that after picking up from underneath keyboard is gonna be a really tough job. Or is it a way to test it with all that removed?

No Events found!