Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 28th, 2012 11:00

My new Aurora R4 completely shuts down or freezes while playing games for 1-2 min

I just received my new Alienware tower.  After all the setup and boot up was done I loaded up Battlefield 3.  It loaded up fine but between 1-4 min of game play the whole computer shuts down.  A few times I get a sound hiccup and then black screen and or freeze then crash.  I have cone threw some of the trouble shooting option that the Battlefield 3 game has and nothing has worked.  I have tried a few other games that are graphics intensive and they also have the same problem.  I can stream movies and brows online just fine.

My system specs are:

Alienware Aurora x79

Dual: BD Combo, DVD+RW

Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7870

Sharp 42" LCD 1080P

Windows 7

1TB RAID 0 (2x 500 GB STA 6GB/s) Solid State Hybrid

16 GB quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

Intel Core i7-3820 (Quad Core 10 Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1GHz

For the few min that the games play the look great :)

2.4K Posts

October 28th, 2012 14:00

Most of the time when the computer just shuts off it's a power issue. Not enough power for the draw on the PSU or sometimes it's not wired right and is pulling too much on a single rail. It could also be a bad PSU. 

What size PSU did you use? Have you tried it without overclocking?

November 2nd, 2012 18:00

I tried turning off the overclocking and it helped I was able to play for a couple of hours, but it still crashes.  I tried to use the blue ray player and the same thing happens about 10 - 30 min of play.  I am not sure what size PSU I have.  I bought a heavy duty extension cord and ran a connection to a different plug and I think it helped.

7 Posts

November 3rd, 2012 00:00

It could easily be a driver issue. What driver version are you running?

2.4K Posts

November 3rd, 2012 01:00

I tried turning off the overclocking and it helped I was able to play for a couple of hours, but it still crashes.  I tried to use the blue ray player and the same thing happens about 10 - 30 min of play.  I am not sure what size PSU I have.  I bought a heavy duty extension cord and ran a connection to a different plug and I think it helped.

Hello SkrimmyFly

"It loaded up fine but between 1-4 min of game play the whole computer shuts down. "

This is the key here.

If it just shuts off and turning off the overclock helps it run longer but it still shuts off then that is really pointing to a power issue. If it was just crashing without it powering down then I'd say try another driver. I think it's time to phone tech support.

I think you should call Dell since it's a new system and have them trouble shoot it. It may need parts and if so you would need to call them anyway.

207 Posts

May 30th, 2013 09:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.

No Events found!