Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2013 06:00

NEW Alienware X51 R2 freezing

Hello,

I have just bought an Alienware X51 R2 (i4770 + GTX670+16GB RAM) a couple of weeks ago.

The machine just arrived and of course I started to (try) playing games, even my wife wanted to play .

Well Crysis 3, Assassin's Creed 3, NFS most wanted, NONE of these games cannot be played more than 15 minutes before the PC freezes completely or gets me back to the desktop (win7).

I have already looked on the forums before posting and none of the potential solutions worked for me. In addition is a new machine, so I would look at sending it back but I would really like to see if there is something that I can do before doing that.

1. All drivers are up to date, even tried those Nvidia beta drivers

2. All temperature sensors do not show more than 70C

3. The case itself if properly positioned in a "windy" spot (even if outside there are 30C)

I thought that this hardware combination should be fine, but for the moment I am stick stuck playing on my tablet

Any ideas?

Thanks

13 Posts

August 4th, 2013 18:00

How many graphic cards are there? 1 or 2?

Have you tried playing on different fps(gameplays)

245 Posts

August 4th, 2013 23:00

go into the BIOS and trying changing the following setting under integrated devices...

PCI-e Gen 3 to disable.  save the setting and reboot and report back on if it helps you.

4 Posts

August 5th, 2013 05:00

one card, how do i change the FPS? you mean downgrading the quality of the visuals?

4 Posts

August 5th, 2013 05:00

ok i have just update the bios to A01 and I will disable the setting. but i thought that the whole purpose of the setting is to use the new cards :)

thanks for the hint

13 Posts

August 5th, 2013 06:00

yes that is what i meant, i'm not that kind of a gamer ;o)

5 Posts

August 5th, 2013 07:00

We have a M17X R4 which had the same issue and is still in warranty. We have been given the tech support help runaround, new bios, updated drivers, complete re-install, but in the end we opted to get an independent pc tech to look at it. He fixed it by replacing the Hard Drive.He says a SSD would be even better. It runs like a train now.

4 Posts

August 8th, 2013 00:00

thanks for the update but unfortunately the X51 does not come with an option to put an SSD only on it, and otherwise I cannot afford it :(

No Events found!