Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2015 11:00

NIC in Aurora R4

Is it possible that a NIC can go bad but doesn't effect anything else on the computer?, beings it's part of the motherboard? Started having sporadic download speed problems about 3 weeks ago. Comcast has checked everything on their end and says everything looks good. I have replaced the RG6 to the Comcast D mark, replaced patch cords to cat7 cords, tried a different modem and router. Good speeds are back after re-booting everything, but that only last about 12 hours and the trouble comes back. All signals look great. Running out of options so looking at the NIC. The upload speeds are always good, just the download is the problem.

Thanks 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 7th, 2015 15:00

Hello, 

When there is a hardware problem with the NIC, it usually does not even let you connect or it will keep disconnecting you from the network. There could a program interfering with your download speeds. We recommend you check this in safe mode, if the download speed seems normal in safe mode, then its most likely a software problem. 

445 Posts

July 7th, 2015 17:00

Thank you for the reply. I was able to download and use Support Assist from Alienware. I ran the network tool. It passed the test with no trouble so definitely not the NIC. Thanks for the suggestion on running a speedtest in the safe mode. I will do that. My Grand daughter is coming over tonight with her Asus laptop and will leave that over night and tomorrow morning so will see what the speedtest shows on that. In the meantime I will run a speed test in the safe mode.

Thank you. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 8th, 2015 07:00

You're very welcome. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

No Events found!