Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 20th, 2015 09:00

NVIDIA GTX970 on Aurora R3 gives no video signal.

I'm trying to troubleshoot why my Aurora R3 (2011) is not sending a video signal to my monitor with my new EVGA GTX 970 graphics card.

I upgraded the PSU to the 875W, installed the latest BIOS (A11), installed the drivers for the card when I booted the first time, then on restart I got no signal.

I found a post with someone having the same isssue as me and there was a comment from a user saying...

"Try disabling the onboard video (HD3000) and RAM profile to standard 1333 from XMP in the BIOS."

Does anybody know if this referenced a proprietary BIOS or do we have these setting as well? I was working on this last night and now am at work so wont get to do some more troubleshooting till I get home tonight. Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anybody knew.

On boot I get a POST, see the initial Microsoft Windows graphic. Everything appears fine, but then the monitor displays the HDMI or Display Port text as if it is searching for a signal, then turns black.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 20th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

We do not support the GTX 970 as a GPU upgrade option for the Alienware Aurora R3 system. You could also try posting this on the Notebook Review and Alienware Arena forums.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 20th, 2015 14:00

If you have 875watt PowerSupply ... just about any single video card should work (dual-slot ok) power-wise.

HOWEVER, since it's Aurora-R3 you better get a video card with a Dual-BIOS switch on it that supports both Legacy and UEFI Hybrid.

Aurora R3 is maybe just EFI (not true uEFI) so it can't decide which it needs. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get one with a switch on the video-card.

Reportedly, newer MSI video cards have the switch.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

On boot I get a POST, see the initial Microsoft Windows graphic. Everything appears fine, but then the monitor displays the HDMI or Display Port text as if it is searching for a signal, then turns black.

Oh, well that might also be a setting in Windows that's defaulting the Primary single monitor to wrong port.

Try Safe Mode.

Try all ports on 970 (including DVI).

18 Posts

I tried all ports on the card.  Nothing works.  I haven't tried safe mode, but will tonight.  What is the key macro during boot up that gives me the option for safe mode?

18 Posts

November 20th, 2015 15:00

Since this is the one I bought.  www.evga.com/.../GPU.aspx  

I'm gonna look for any switches on the back for the dual BIOS support.  They are listed under Key Features: Dual BIOS Support

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 20th, 2015 15:00

Windows options: F8

Dell BIOS options: F12 should lead to all

Since it's Aurora-R3, UEFI/Legacy-Video-Switch is more common, but I thought that symptom was no video at all. It's all in old forum posts if you search.

18 Posts

November 20th, 2015 17:00

I am able to boot to safe mode and get a desktop.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 20th, 2015 18:00

I am able to boot to safe mode and get a desktop.

Good. Then in Display properties, set the monitor on this port to be Primary.

18 Posts

November 20th, 2015 19:00

"Then in Display properties, set the monitor on this port to be Primary."  Device Manager?  When I go there all I see is Change Display Settings > Change Resolution.  Detect/Identify only flashes a large number 1 on the screen.

18 Posts

November 20th, 2015 20:00

Also your comment."Save yourself a lot of trouble and get one with a switch on the video-card."  What MSI card do you think has the best chance of working.  This is my 2nd attempt to upgrade my system with a GTX 970.  Should I go with a 960 with 2Gb?  Should I try an AMD R7 370?  At this point anything would probably be an improvement over the dual GTS 450s I had in SLI.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 21st, 2015 00:00

Ya, it might look like that if you only have one monitor.

What OS?

What exact 970 card?

What exact monitor?

How are your BIOS options set? Anything about video. UEFI or SecureBoot?

Are you using native cables with no adapters?

Did you try native DVI cable to DVI ports on both ends?

Really sounds like it can't find Primary video port. What driver are you running?

18 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 00:00

What OS?

Windows 7 64

What exact 970 card?

EVGA - GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 ACX 2.0 SSC PCI Express 3.0

Model Number: 04G-P4-3979-KB

What exact monitor?

Samsung - UD590 Series 28" LED 4K UHD

How are your BIOS options set?  Nothing out of the ordinary.

Anything about video. UEFI or SecureBoot?

The only UEFI I see is in Boot sequence.  It is listed as #7

I have a straight HDMI cable,  DisplayPort cable, and a HDMI/DVI cable but it’s all one piece, there is no screw on adapter.

I have 2 x HDMI 2.0 ports, and 1 x DisplayPort, and  1 x 3.5mm audio port. No DVI port.

Really sounds like it can't find Primary video port. What driver are you running?

359.00-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql

And the drivers on the DVD that came with the card.

18 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 02:00

I disabled UEFI in Boot and rebooted 3 times, testing each of the 5W1 legacy bios switches on the card going from primary to secondary.  I believe the 2nd switch enables / disables BIOS write protection.  Nothing worked.  Even tried all three of my display ports. on the card.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 22nd, 2015 19:00

What OS?

Windows 7 64

What exact 970 card?

EVGA - GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 ACX 2.0 SSC PCI Express 3.0

Model Number: 04G-P4-3979-KB

What exact monitor?

Samsung - UD590 Series 28" LED 4K UHD

How are your BIOS options set?  Nothing out of the ordinary.

Anything about video. UEFI or SecureBoot?

The only UEFI I see is in Boot sequence.  It is listed as #7

I have a straight HDMI cable,  DisplayPort cable, and a HDMI/DVI cable but it’s all one piece, there is no screw on adapter.

I have 2 x HDMI 2.0 ports, and 1 x DisplayPort, and  1 x 3.5mm audio port. No DVI port.

359.00-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql

And the drivers on the DVD that came with the card.

Win7-64, so ...
- UEFI ON should be fine
- SecureBoot OFF

HDMI port and cable cannot handle 4K@60Hz, so use a native DisplayPort cable. Only have that DP cable attached, and into DP-1 on 970.

Driver:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/95553

All the above is pretty definite.

Try each:

1. SafeMode. NVidia Control Panel, setup monitor

2. Safe mode and uninstall NVidia driver suite, reboot. See if Windows will load normal.

3. Safe mode, delete NVidia card and NVidia devices from Device Manager and reboot. See what driver Windows loads (from local or their online stash) as default.

Finally, might be a "4K issue". settings like 30Hz vs. 60z and ...

SST - Single Stream Transport
vs. MST

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-4k-monitor-doesnt-exist/

Whether the LCD and video card auto detect stuff like this on not ... they must match to get a picture.

18 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 12:00

"Just set them to match your BIOS selection."... So how do I do that?  The switch says 1 or 2 for primary or secondary.  Where is that referenced in my BIOS?

No Events found!