Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2013 12:00

Need help with RAM!

GUYS!!!  Would this work for my m14x r2? And is this even good? If not, what ram do you suggest me getting for my Alienware?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416#top 

August 16th, 2013 17:00

Hi Zeyy,

You would need to clean the vents, the heat-sink and make sure that the system fan is spinning correctly and then re-paste it. The best brand would be Arctic Silver

To re-apply it watch this video at 7:55 on how to get the thermal module and this other video on ways how to spread the thermal paste.  

3.3K Posts

August 10th, 2013 13:00

Hi Zeyy,

Alienware M14X R2 two internally-accessible DDR3 connectors which support up to 1600 MHz, dual-channel DDR3.

****NOTE:  For dual-channel configuration, the memory modules must be of the same type and capacity.

Yes the memory module should be compatible with Alienware M14X R2 .

Please reply for further questions.

10 Posts

August 10th, 2013 13:00

Would this fix my great fps drop in my games? Simple games like Deadpool and Battlefield 3 would lag like crazy after 5 minutes into the game. I don't know what to do to maintain the speed. Temperature would also be so hot. Sometimes reaching to 93Deg C

3.3K Posts

August 13th, 2013 11:00

Hi Zeyy,

This can happen only because of heating.

Temperature range:

Operating :

0°C to 35°C (32°F to 95°F)

Non-operating:

-40º to 65º C (-40º to 149º F)

I recommend BIOS update on the computer.

I have provided a link below for   BIOS update:

http://dell.to/1d3R8A3

• During BIOS update verify that the computer is connected to an AC Adapter.
  • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update. 
  • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Ensure battery charge is more than 30% during BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new

BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Clean Air vents:

1. Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.

• Turn off the System
  • Remove all power sources: Unplug the AC Adapter and Remove the Battery, or Unplug the Desktop Power Cord.

2. Use a compressed air can to blow the dust out of the vents. Be sure to hold the can at an upright (near 90 degree angle) and hold it 15-20 centimeters (6-8 inches) away from the target.

Hardware Diagnostics Check:

Run diagnostics on computer. Restart the computer and tap F12 during startup.

Let me know the status.

August 13th, 2013 17:00

Hi Zeyy,

The RAM sticks on your link are meant for Desktop upgrades. Checkout this article on possible scenarios on low FPS. You should checkout this other article on overheating issues with laptops. 

10 Posts

August 16th, 2013 13:00

Hi Rajesh,

As soon as i clicked download via online, it says I do not have the permission to do so.

What do i do now? 

10 Posts

August 16th, 2013 13:00

Thank you Alexander!

But, would repasting thermal patches work? If so, what brand, type do you recommend i get and if possible, what are the steps to re-applying?

10 Posts

August 17th, 2013 01:00

Or if i still need the adhesive, how do i apply it?

10 Posts

August 17th, 2013 13:00

Hey again Alexander,

Finally, just to confirm, I only need the Arctic Silver 5 AND the 2 bottles of cleaners ONLY right? Because from what i see, they only apply the Arctic 5 after using the cleaners. Not sure where the adhesive goes in.

August 17th, 2013 16:00

Normally onsite technicians use alcohol swaps, used specifically for this purpose, to remove the old thermal compound. Also, using compressed air is going to help you clean up the system, but make sure when cleaning the system fan for it not to spin while you're using the compressed air; it could become faulty.

10 Posts

August 26th, 2013 01:00

Hi Alexander. 

I tried disassembling my laptop following the video link suggested by you. But, I've come across a problem where I encountered a broken screw thread. 

It's the silver part covering my hard drive. What do I do now?

No Events found!