Highlighted
Deepwood
1 Copper

Nervous About Core Temps

Hi all. This is probably my first post in the Alienware Forums, so thanks for having me. I'll get right to the point, because I'm pretty nervous about my system, an Alienware X51. A few days ago, I noticed that my core temps, from an Intel Core i3 2120  @ 3.30GHz, were higher than usual (I did some research online and was suggested that below 50C was safe). Directly from a fresh boot, I'd get readouts of anywhere between 50C-62C. It got me nervous. I used CPUID Hardware Monitor to track everything, and what was bugging me was that the fan speed for the cores were listed at 85%, even though I didn't hear a peep, and the cores were still at 55C. I'm confident that malware isn't involved.

I've attached a link to my Dropbox with a screenshot of all the info that I hope you folks need to help me through this. My machine is one month old and I want to keep it as fully-functional as possible.

Thank you all in advance!

(Update) - Right as I'm typing this, my fans are still producing the same amount of noise as when they were listed as running at 85%, but now they're at 11%. What the heck is going on???

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Nervous About Core Temps

Hi Deepwood, that temperature is perfectly normal. We consider overheating temperatures above 90C when running intensive applications. Here is an article for you to learn how to stress out your processor and GFX card at the maximum.

Alienware-L_Porras
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos

Re: Nervous About Core Temps

Forgot the link. Sorry!

Alienware-L_Porras
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos