Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 30th, 2017 08:00

New 15 R3 7700HQ goes above 90°C do I have to re-paste?

I just bought Alienware 15 R3 7th gen 7700HQ on Jun'2017. It gets hot while running SupportAssist 15min Stress Test as well as playing games like The Witcher 3.

Notes:

• Laptop is lifted so as to have enough air circulation.
  • GPU temperature never exceeded 70°C.

Default without under volt - SupportAssist:

7700HQ temperature while running Support Assist 15min Stress Test

After 0.130v under volt - SupportAssist:

0.130v under volt - 7700HQ temperature while running Support Assist 15min Stress Test

June 30th, 2017 09:00

if you're hitting 90 °C, then re-paste is not a bad Idea. buy Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste and watch some How To Videos on YouTube.

in your first Screenshot your CPU is about to Throttle. your second Screenshot looks okay.

if you don't want to re-paste the TP, then leave your CPU undervolted. i believe there is no Drawback if the CPU is undervolted like that.

Edit:

not sure about the Temp where the CPU is about to Throttle. i always thought it's 90 °C, but it can be different with Alienware Laptops.

June 30th, 2017 10:00

Thanks for your response. I think there is no Throttling at all you can see that in the same image itself.

I have some more questions.

• If I take this to Dell Service Centre for re-pasting how much they can able to reduce the temperature with there standard paste?
  • If I ask them to re-paste with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste will they do it?
  • Will it void warranty if I do it myself?
  • Is there any ambient sensor in this laptop?

June 30th, 2017 11:00

bkmagnetron wrote:

Thanks for your response. I think there is no Throttling at all you can see that in the same image itself.

yes. i noticed that and it confused me. that is why i edited my Post. it is usually 90 °C when the CPU starts Throtteling but i believe Vendors can change the Limit.

sorry, i can't answer your Questions. i'm a Forum User just like you. but Alienware Support on this Website recommends Arctic Silver or IC Diamond, so they are probably using something like that in their Shops.

No Events found!