rabah1991
1 Copper

New Alienware 15 R3 OVERHEAT ??

Jump to solution

Recently i purchased an Alienware 15 r3 with 7700HQ and gtx 1070. I read a lot about overheat issues, yet i read in intel website that as long as CPU doesn't reach 100 degree, its ok, but ofc i will not wait until it reach this temp. So i want to know if this temperature is ok ?? I was playing Dishonored 2, Everything is almost on Ultra with G-sync enabled.

edit :

I tried undervolting to -0.130 and this is what i got

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: New Alienware 15 R3 OVERHEAT ??

Jump to solution

Hallo rabah1991. Great Job with the Screenshots.

your first Screenshot looks somewhat worrying. the second one looks pretty good actually and the last one is even better. the CPU Temps should stay below 85 °C and this is the Case here.

does the CPU Boost Clock Funktion work properly when Undervolted? if yes, then leave it like that and be happy.

18 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi rabah1991‌,

Please follow all the steps on this article: Alienware 15 R3 / 17 R4 Overheat, Performance Issues or Throttling During High CPU Stress | Dell US  

Let us know!

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
rabah1991
1 Copper

Jump to solution

After enabling the CPU performance mode i can see no option related ot everclock, what might be the problem ??

0 Kudos
rabah1991
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I read that this OC function is only available K CPU.

Anyway i ignored this step and did the others and i got this results:

0 Kudos
rabah1991
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Up

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hallo rabah1991. Great Job with the Screenshots.

your first Screenshot looks somewhat worrying. the second one looks pretty good actually and the last one is even better. the CPU Temps should stay below 85 °C and this is the Case here.

does the CPU Boost Clock Funktion work properly when Undervolted? if yes, then leave it like that and be happy.

rabah1991
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

on intel laptops turbo stops working when you reach 90C, thermal starts at 100C, this is intel's own hardware implementation in the CPU but manufacturers can override this, stopping turbos at lower temperatures and thermal throttling at lower temperatures. I have an alienware 13 which would throttle the gtx 650m at 70C fixed with custom bios.

Reapplying thermal paste with a good one could help combined with a cooling pad.

Jump to solution

well actually you fixed it on your own but Thank You.

0 Kudos
rabah1991
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Actually i can't understand all this stuff about thermal throttling and cooling. I just want to make sure i am in the safe zone when pushing my laptop to its limit.

0 Kudos