rabah1991
6 Indium

Re: New Alienware 15 R3 OVERHEAT ??

Jump to solution

Sorry for disturbing you again. I just wonder if it's normal for the CPU to reach 90-95 degree without undervolting when i do a GPU stress test ??

I did a GPU stress test using Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility. And when i used undervolt, it reaches 84-91 degrees?? I just want to make sure i am in the safe zone since sometime i can play heavy games like BF1 or dishonoered 2 for hours.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hallo. don't worry. ask as many Questions as you want. even if i'm Busy, someone else will answer the Question. that's for sure.

so about your Question: yes 95 °C is to hot.

with the new CPUs it's like playing Silicon Lottery. some of the CPUs perform better, and some of them worse. it looks like you've lost a bit. so what you can do now is:

a) return the Laptop

b) leave it undervolted

c) try to Setup a more Aggressive Curve for the CPU Cooler. Download HWinfo64 first.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php 

google "HWinfo Laptop Fan How to".

d) as SystemErrorMessage mentioned, replace the Thermal Paste. you will need to disassemble your Laptop. watch a YouTube Video for your Model so you know what it looks like.

and the last Option is to get an External Cooler (Laptop Cool Pad). my personal Opinion is however, they are a Waste of Time and Money. i've had 3 different ones and tried to Cool my MSI Apache and Asus N76 Laptops and it didn't work.

rabah1991
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Can't i send it to dell back to repaste ?? I don't have enough courage to disassemble the laptop as i heard it's very hard and may cause some damage if i am not careful.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

in that Case Call Dell Support and tell them that your Laptops CPU is Overheating. Tech Support should be able to fix it.

Dgwolf
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

will undervolting the cpu void the warranty?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can check.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hallo Dgwolf.

no. not really. but be careful with the Voltage Settings.

Iamisraeli
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

don't think too much...

just call DELL ASAP.

motherboard / heatsink or both should be replaced, this is too hot.

100C is the max operation temperature with over clocking and everything.

your computer got no overclocking it suppose to run without overclocking around 80c at max load.

try to lift a bit the backside of your computer while you using with some customisation.

try to keep it with under voltage until you got your replacement one.

I had exactly the same problem, they replaced the whole motherboard today but it still warm but now less it could reach to 103C earlier.

now getting to 94C maximum with 7820hk, they said they try to replace the heatsink also lets see if it helps...

however I am stuck with this computer for now too.

Iamisraeli
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

just wanted to update you guys:

replacement heat-sink did not help at all, now it even worst.

my CPU reaches to 96C, some areas around the keyboard so warm while gaming that I can't even place my hand there as it feels not comfortable and too hot.

WELL, 3000USD machine.

this is the future from DELL two in one.

not just a gaming computer but also a cooking plate

0 Kudos