Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 20th, 2012 04:00

New Alienware x51 does 5 beeps and don't even start.

I've just got the computer today, I take it out of the box, plug it to the screen, keyboard, mouse and AC, tried to turn it on and it does nothing but five beeps, again and again, I tried contacting the Tech support, but besides hanging up the phone or telling me that they'll send me with the proper person, I haven't even got the chance to explain them the problem. This is really worrying me, first time turning it on and I've already got a problem. What should I do? 

6 Posts

December 1st, 2012 12:00

My second x51 is now working. Here is the solution that worked for me:

I read http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19478449/20239699.aspx#20239699 and following steps suggested by dishwasherwong:

1. Hold down power button for 30 seconds (I did this starting from powered on, beeping; and then repeated it starting from a powered off state)
  2. Remove video card and bracket
  3. Unplug CMOS battery for two minutes
  4. Hook everything back up
  5. Press F2 to go into BIOS setup
  6. Change Boot Mode from Legacy to UEFI
  7. F10 to save and exit

That's it!

Kudos to dishwasherwong!!!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 20th, 2012 06:00

Dornisaurio,

My apologies. You should not have to deal with this out of the box. 5 beeps is a Real Time Clock failure. Use these contacts -

Email = AWCC-Resolution_experts@Dell.com

Phone = 800-254-3692 option 4, option 2

15 Posts

November 20th, 2012 11:00

Same here, Five beeps out of the box on novembre 14th; Very frustrating hours on the phone with tech. support on the 15th; Tech support got to my home today nov. 20th to change the graphics card; still nothing works... Tech. support has to come back later this week to change the MotherBoard, and see if that works?... I can only hope, and wait for now... but I feel very bad about this.

I hope they fix it for you too Dornisaurio!

12 Posts

November 20th, 2012 20:00

I still trying to contact the tech, support, the last one I called ( 800-254-3692 option 4, option 2) told me to ask for my money back or a new one, is to bad that the tech support is to impatient and bad.

15 Posts

November 21st, 2012 06:00

Totally Unacceptable! Can we even hope to get our money back, or at least, some kind of compenstion for the wait and frustrations...?

If swapping the motherboard works, I wish I never have to call Dell tech support again. Tech. at home told me it could also be the power supply that is deffective, or other components that cause the five beeps failure. I beleive to many people are involved in the decision process, and nobody seems to know what's going on. I Try to keep in mind that the new motherboard is going to work. I hate complaining. We should be playing with our new computers now!

12 Posts

November 21st, 2012 16:00

I can't belive that I pay 5 USD for a coffee in starbucks and they attend me with a smile, I pay 1500 for a computer and they don't even let me explain the problem. I got another reply that just says "we'll contact you as soon as possible" I got it some hours ago, no contact yet and in some hours they'll stop working.

15 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 08:00

I got no feedback at all from Dell Since tuesday!

I'm getting more and more upset...

12 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 17:00

They should improve their tech support, though. is very slow

12 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 17:00

after several calls they said that they're going to remplace it, because the problem is from the factory.

15 Posts

November 24th, 2012 03:00

Good for you Dornisaurio. At least you got a clear answer in the end. I'm still waiting...

Good luck with the replacement!

12 Posts

November 24th, 2012 08:00

Call them, again and again, again and again, I had to call lots of times (and get redirected from tech to costumer service and then to tech support again, and then to latinoamerica blah blah blah).

15 Posts

November 28th, 2012 12:00

Monday, they told me on the phone, that they are still waiting for the motherboard; They can't tell me why it's late... they said they will call me as soon as they get it;  we hope, by the end of the week...

I'm stuck, waiting...

You'll probably have a brand new  system sent to you Dornisaurio,

Before they fix mine;

Even if I got it a week before you.

12 Posts

November 28th, 2012 21:00

That's sad, call them again and again, even if the answer is the same, it worked to me at least.

1 Message

November 29th, 2012 07:00

Hey i bought my x51 service tag ;  Service tag removed per privacy policy> in January and it came with the faulty disk drive which was still never fixed and now today as i was downloading some updates including the bios a10 wen it told me to reboot my system it wuddn come bk on and had the blank screen and 5 beeps i called customer support which again basically told me i had to wait until an english speakin operater gets bk to me. it seems to be one problem after another. an i have important files on the x51 that i need for college.

12 Posts

November 29th, 2012 09:00

Backup them all as you can and demand a new one instead of asking for solving the problem.

No Events found!