Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2012 09:00

New Drive in Alienware M11xR3

I want to install a new SSD in my Alienware M11xR3 but the only boot options available in the BIOS are Hard Drive and Network, even though I've enabled USB Emulation in the BIOS. I've created a bootable USB stick by using AlienRespawn but without USB or Removable Device available in the BIOS, how would I install the O/S on the new drive? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 16th, 2012 13:00

Restart, press F12 for the one time boot menu.

6 Posts

June 16th, 2012 17:00

Chris: Tried F12 but all I get are an additional two options - Diagnostics & Go To Setup. I find it strange that Dell would not allow a user to boot from USB or CD on a laptop to which they give the user full access to the battery, HDD, wireless card, memory modules, etc. Do I need a more up to date BIOS (I'm currently running BIOS A04)? If so, can you provide me with the filename?

Also, if a HDD was to fail on this laptop, how would Dell themselves install the O/S on a new HDD? Many thanks.

Bill

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 17th, 2012 21:00

We do provide USB Reinstallation keys -
4W3YD Windows 7 Professional Reinstallation USB Key
953KR Windows 7 Home Premium Reinstallation USB Key

What USB ports are you testing the key on?
Left USB 2.0 port with Power Share
Right USB 3.0 ports

You can boot from an external optical drive. The documentation states -
Attaching an external optical drive will add CD/DVD/BD to the Bios- Boot list.

6 Posts

June 18th, 2012 06:00

Chris:  Thanks for the info on the optical drive. It does indeed show up when I connect the drive to the laptop!

As for the USB key, I've been using the left USB port. I'll try the right port(s). If I was to get a Dell-supplied USB key, I don't understand how it would work, though, if a USB port does not show up in the BIOS-Boot List. What I want to do is restore the Windows O/S + the Alienware drivers on a new drive. Apparently the CD that came with the laptop does NOT include the drivers. Seems as though I still wouldn't have much of a system without the proper drivers. It looked to me like AlienRespawn would have everything I need to have a proper functioning system if only I could restore from a USB key onto a new drive. Thoughts? Thanks very much.

Bill

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 18th, 2012 07:00

The OS CD never has the system specific drivers. Those are on the C91TN Resource DVD.

6 Posts

June 18th, 2012 10:00

Chris:  Just wanted to thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Ran Respawn backup to DVD-R's and was able to restore through the BIOS-Boot list using CD/DVD. Worked great! Thanks again!

Bill

6 Posts

June 18th, 2012 13:00

Quick question Chris:  If I upgrade to the premium version of Dell DataSafe, will it backup any applications that I've installed since I got my machine, as well as the O/S and required drivers? Thanks.

Bill

835 Posts

June 20th, 2012 16:00

Hi Bgotro22,

Here's a link with information about AlienRespawn and the different offerings between the basic version and the premium. If you want to upgrade to the Premium version, this link will direct you to an article that will guide you through the steps on how to do it. Let me know how it goes.

No Events found!