Newbie question-M15x wireless question

Im new to  laptops and I just purchased an M15X, with what my mother calls all the *bells & whistles. I would like to be wireless throughout the home. My ISP is through the cable company, and I did have my desktop connected to an external modem. To be wireless I need a wifi card? and network adapter? (I have both on order) as well as a wireless router? (just purchased)  Its my understanding that I connect the router to the modem w/the adapter, and do a basic configuration and Im set?  Gosh, I really sound stupid...could someone please clarify...thanks in advance.

Alienware M15X, Nebula Red
Intel Core i3 370M 2.4Ghz (3MB Cache) 
4GB Dual Channel Memory (2x 2GB DDR3) 
15.6-inch WideHD+ 1600x900 (900p) WLED 
1.5GB GDDR5 65W NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 
320GB SATAII 7,200RPM 
Personalized Nameplate 
Personalized Nameplate Trigger 
AlienFX Color, Mars Red 
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English 
Alienhead Chrome Red 
Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW) 
Alien Red Glyphs 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: Newbie question-M15x wireless question

The laptop already has everything it needs (wifi cards, built-in antennas) to communicate over WiFi. You can go down the street to the coffee shop or large book store and it will work.

Yes, many people use wireless routers at homes. Be sure to setup the security after you get it working. Just read the manual.

There are lots of tutorials on the Internet on how to setup wireless networks.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thank you. I really just wanted to know the basics, if I was correct..as for the security, do you have any suggestions?

I purchased a 3yr McAfee Total Protection.

320GB SATAII 7,200RPM 
Personalized Nameplate 
AlienFX Color, Mars Red 
Alienhead Chrome Red 
Alien Red Glyphs 

0 Kudos
Cobbie911
2 Iron

I think what Tesla is referring to is securing your wireless network against outside attack/abuse. Its important that you change the default user name and password for the admin access. Also set a WPA-PSK passkey encryption, personally i limit my access to specific MAC addresses so even if they know the pass they won't be able to log on. All this will be covered i the user manual and is available using the router firmware, you won't need to buy any additional security out side of your antivirus. The router will also likely have a firewall.

I know people that have taken the router out the box plugged it in and walled away because it connects to their computer fine, however it will also connect to anyone else to. if you see a wireless access point called Netgear or Linksys then you know its probably not been setup, this means you could login as admin and change all the settings and locking the owner out. Plus your giving everyone else free internet. My father in law is a prime example, i sit in his frontroom with my iPhone and lock him out of his own wireless system to prove a point.

Cobbie.

0 Kudos

I purchased a Linksys E3000 High Performance 300Mbps Wireless-N Router. Im hoping that this will do the trick!! Thanks for the input. I have always used a desktop, and wanted the mobility of a laptop.

320GB SATAII 7,200RPM 
Personalized Nameplate 
AlienFX Color, Mars Red 
Alienhead Chrome Red 
Alien Red Glyphs 

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

I really just wanted to know the basics, if I was correct..as for the security, do you have any suggestions?

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/a/howtobuildwlan.htm

I was refering to access control on your wireless router.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos