Highlighted
LKAO
1 Nickel

No Video Output during POST -- System boot to Windows 8 fine.

I have an Alienware Area 51 R2 with i7-5960X. Service Tag# 95L9B42.

The system can boot up to Windows 8 fine. But during the entire boot process, I have no video output. The display comes back alive only after Windows 8 boots up completely.

I tried to hit F2, F10, Delete --- the boot sequence did halt, but since there is no video output, I am unable to access BIOS menu. 

How do I resolve this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndrewSi
4 Germanium

RE: No Video Output during POST -- System boot to Windows 8 fine.

A similar issue has happened in the past with Alienware Aurora's that had AMD/ATI graphics cards.

I may get this a little wrong, but I think it has something to do with what output connection you use.

For example, if you use a HDMI output you will miss the boot screen, but if you use a DVI output you will get the boot screen but no windows, like I said may get this a little wrong (as in which plug is which) but try some of the other connections and see if they display the bootup screen and BIOS

0 Kudos
LKAO
1 Nickel

RE: No Video Output during POST -- System boot to Windows 8 fine.

Hi Folks,

I have finally noticed why there were no video on POST. This is only my observation.

The Alienware Area 51 R2 machine that I am working with have 2 monster graphic cards and 4 DVI ports! I found only 1 DVI port will support POST video output. The rest of them have delayed activation, that's why I was able to see screen output after Windows 8 boot up completed.

This is important because no POST video means can not get into BIOS menu (F2). Unable to change boot sequence or other settings.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos