Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2016 15:00

No fullscreen video. Alienware 17 & Graphics Amplifier

I have a problem with my Alienware PC and fullscreen display. Setup is:

Alienware 17 Laptop
Alienware Graphic Amplifier with a eVGA GeForce 970 video card installed.
External 4K display connected via HDMI

Laptop and Graphics Amplifier less than 3 months old. 

Problem is that when I go to display Video full screen I can hear the video playing but the screen goes black. This happens with 1080P video and 4K video from any source that allows me to go full screen. This includes, Windows Player, YouTube video on Chrome, GoPro video player, etc. etc. As soon as you go full screen, the screen goes black but video continues to play (you can hear sound track). 

Any advice? Setting I need to change?

1 Message

August 23rd, 2016 17:00

I had to turn off my hd530 graphics. You will have to turn it back on when you use it as just a laptop. Is there drivers for AGA, maybe that would help. It just ***.

3 Posts

September 16th, 2016 22:00

Is this issue ever going to be acknowledged?!?!?! This has been going on for too long and obviously someone messed up! How do you let this big of a bug go by and not own up to it? Anytime an external monitor is used on these laptop the intel gpu needs to be disabled....

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 1st, 2016 11:00

Hi,

Does this happen on both, the computer and the external monitor? Also, have you tried with different resolutions?

Remember that the monitor should be connected to the amplifier and not to the computer.

4 Posts

August 1st, 2016 17:00

It does not matter if the external display is set to 1080p or 4K video (settings via Windows to set output resolution). When you go to full screen, it goes black.

As for the files themselves, same thing. It does not matter if it is 1080p file or a 4K file. It does not matter the output source software or file format, as mentioned, either.

As for the laptop doing it by itself without an external display attached. I will test and reply.

4 Posts

August 1st, 2016 18:00

Tested without external display. The machine will go to full screen display when nothing is connected to the laptop. In other words, it will display full screen on the laptop's own display.

As for the external monitor, it is connected to the graphics amplifier and not the computer.

The monitor is a 4K display.

Just to confirm one last thing, the display is not the issue. When I connect the another display to the graphics amplifier (a 1080P Dell display I have) same thing. The full screen mode is not available.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 4th, 2016 17:00

Send me a PM with the service tag so I can assist you further.

2 Posts

August 8th, 2016 17:00

Well, so I went back and set the laptop screen to be the main display and now I can play full screen video from the two external displays (even at the same time!).  This poses a different challenge though, all games I launch want to play on the laptop screen. :(

I can switch back and forth as needed but this really isn't an ideal way to manage it.  I should be able to set the screen I want as the primary display for gaming and also have full screen video work without having to make a change.

2 Posts

August 8th, 2016 17:00

Same situation here.  AGA w/ GTX 1080 on a Alienware 15r2.  Can play full screen video on laptop display but not on either of the two displays hooked directly up to the GTX 1080.  Even did a fresh install of Windows 10 with all updated drivers.  

Games, however, play wonderfully on the external displays.

4 Posts

August 16th, 2016 14:00

Sent a PM a few days back.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Message

August 29th, 2016 03:00

Hi there, I got the same Problem without amplifier.

Try to set the laptop screen as main display in windows settings. It should work..???

But I really got no Idea why it is not working when I set the external Display as main...

Seems to be a driver Problem!

Its just to life with it! (I always change when I'm playing games / watching movies)

Greetings

CP

1 Message

September 13th, 2016 11:00

Same issue with Alienware 17 Laptop + Graphic Amplifier with GeForce 980 + External display connected via HDMI

In "standalone" (with internal display) I have no problem.

Best regards,

FFA

1 Message

September 14th, 2016 08:00

I have the same issue with a GTX 1070 and the 17 inch R3.

Some additional information from my testing:

1) In Chrome if I turn off the setting "Use hardware acceleration" I am able to view Youtube full screen but there is some horrible screen tearing.

2) If I use Firefox Youtube will display properly in fullscreen on my external monitor.

3)The external monitor is plugged into the video card in the Graphics Amplifier (HDMI)

4) If I setup the WIndows display settings so it only uses my external monitor the issue still occurs.

2 Posts

October 7th, 2016 10:00

I have the same problem. Just added the graphics amplifier with EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card. Fixed by disabling the Intel graphics processor.

February 5th, 2017 11:00

I just got my NEW Alienware 13 OLED laptop Kaby Lake Intel 7700HQ CPU with GTX 1060 paired with the graphics amplifier and GTX 1080 Founder Addition GPU and same *** problem.

I can not play full screen video what an absolute waste. The mentioned tweak to turn off the Intel HD GPU does work but this should not be the case. Dell will be getting my call not happy at all. It is like nobody even test these machines real world.

No Events found!