Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2015 02:00

No internet connection after system wipe

Ok, so recently I wiped my Alienware X51 R2 back to its factory default state, but once the system fully wiped itself back to its default state the internet connection didn't work. Apparently the internet connection problem was caused by a problem with the wireless adapter, I just don't know what's wrong with the wireless adapter.

I tried troubleshooting the problem but that didn't help and I used the program alienautopsy to scan the systems hardware but everything was okay. I also checked in the device manger and everything turned up okay there too, so apparently by what I can tell there's nothing physically wrong with my wireless adapter.

So if anybody knows what's up with my computer and how to fix it, help would much appreciated!

(I have a windows 8.1 computer btw)

166 Posts

July 10th, 2015 06:00

If you are expecting to see 9 connections when you left click the internet connection next to the battery icon on the bottom of the screen bar, then that would be wireless.    IF the computer is online without seeing all those other connections, you must be plugged in with a wired, Ethernet cable. Sounds like a wireless problem.  If it was a problem with the Ethernet cable, the first thing is to ask if you have a cable connection that has special protocols, like a name/password, or.  phone call to your ISP might clear up if that was a problem. 

1.  Check to see what the Airport connection switch is.    Whether the Wireless connection is set to on.    Windows 8 can sometimes have an issue with not polling these devices correctly.  

2.  You might try to flip these two back and forth, giving a minute or so for the OS to see the change, and see if Wireless begins to see possible connections.  Even rebooting between changing the switch settings.  (? that sounds like a dumb time wasting maneuver.)   so it is better to do three before doing restarts.

3.  Right click on the connection Icon, choose "Open Network and sharing Center",  where you may find some things to also turn off and on to reset connections for Wireless.

4.  You can go to the Dell site, with your Express Service Code, and find the specific downloads for your computer hardware, where you can find the Wireless Driver, which the Alienware tech recommended that you try to reinstall, as well as the other driver for the Ethernet.  Once you have a downloaded copy that you know how to find it again, then one can reinstall that over and over.   As well as the Network driver.   Shucks, just download them all. 

5. I know for me, as I still have technical support, (and I live in the US) then I can call the Alienware Technical Support, who actually know what they are doing, and can likely talk you through all this, or if you have the Ethernet Cable connection going, they can remote you, and fix it without your having to worry about it.   Alienware techs have been great for fixing the things I messed up.   I hear rumors they are not so great in other countries.  

49 Posts

July 9th, 2015 09:00

Do you have you Ethernet jack connected on to your rig or are you using WiFi connection.? You might want to try to reset your connection...

• 

2.7K Posts

July 9th, 2015 11:00

As well you can try to uninstall the wireless driver and install it again. 

9 Posts

July 9th, 2015 14:00

I'm using wireless connection and there's nothing wrong with my router if that's what your trying to say. It's like my computer isn't picking up any of the nearby routers in my area (there are like 9).

But what do you mean by reset my connection?

9 Posts

July 10th, 2015 02:00

I'm sorry, I put wireless driver instead of network driver. Its not my wireless driver that's messed up it's my network driver. And if I uninstall my network driver I can't reinstall it because I don't have internet connection. Any solutions?

9 Posts

July 10th, 2015 11:00

Thanks it worked! [;)]

No Events found!