Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 8th, 2013 05:00

Number for customer services UK?

Does anyone know where I can find the number for CS? Not Tech Support.  Or does anyone know where I stand in returning a 1 month old R2 for a full refund? I've had continual problems with it shutting down unexpectedly, not recognising the GPU and the latest issue, shutting down then refusing to boot on anything but AC, where I get the message "The battery has been temporarily disabled until temperatures return to normal, please shutdown reseat the AC and try again"  NO amount of shutting down reseating the AC brings the battery back online, and I've looked at multiple sensor logs which show internal temperatures aren't getting anything above 50C. Tech support at first had me reflashing the bios, then one of them told me that the laptop is designed to play games on AC only? Considering these are premium portable gaming rigs I told him that was false representation. The newest bios apparently fixed the GPU disappearing act but the shutdown problem just seems to be getting worse and worse & of course it wont even power up without being plugged into the mains. Today I've spoken again to TS who now say they want to replace my mainboard & battery and are arranging a technician to call me tomorrow to make an appointment, but my main concern is that I only get a 1 year warranty with this hardware. Already only 1 month in its had major issues and needs a board/battery replacement.  Where will I be in another 11 months when the warranty finishes?  As well as the fact that I've not even been able to use this laptop for its actual purpose at all for the entire duration I've owned it. I was an alienware customer for many years with a few years exception while I went through my MacBook phase. I'm extremely disappointed that my £1700 so far seems to have been wasted.

348 Posts

I don't think ANY gaming laptop running the 680 GTX for example can run it at 100% off battery, there simply isn't enough juice. I'm sure some graphics cards will run on battery, but they won't have any grunt.

As for the return, over 1 month you're destined to go through the 3 repairs and then go for refund.

Warranty wise, extend it. Dell Warranty was the deciding factor for me, it seems I was a little misguided as of recent years the consumer side seems to have nose dived, but its still better than most.

15 Posts

its a gt650m in the m14x, and it should have enough power to operate on battery. that is the whole point of a portable gaming rig. if it wont work on battery then its not fit for purpose & warrants a complaint. i'm 2 days under 1 month.

15 Posts

January 8th, 2013 09:00

Chris, the problem is not the gpu, or reduced battery time. the problem is the complete and unexpected shutdown despite full battery remaining, followed by the laptops refusal to switch back on until ac is connected & a warning message saying the battery has been disabled.

would you be at all happy if a laptop less than a month old had so many problems?? maybe it wouldn't be so bad if CS were actually available to take calls, if i was maybe given some assurances that these problems are not normal & some offer of recompense for the first month with my new laptop being largely inoperable.

to compound the issue i wasted almost £10 in phone calls trying to speak to a customer service rep, and have also had a broken up voicemail to say that the proposed main board/battery replacement is now delayed because of stock issues.

i'm investigating how to make a formal complaint through the office of fair trading.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 8th, 2013 09:00

m15chief,

That system uses Nvidia Optimus to switch between the discrete Nvidia video card and the onboard Intel, based on usage. If it is not plugged into the mains, it will default to the onboard Intel to save battery life. You can force Nvidia Optimus to globally use the discrete Nvidia video card, but it will kill the battery charge very quickly.

* Open the Nvidia Control Panel
* Select Manage 3D Settings
* Under the Global Settings tab, select High Performance Nvidia processor
* Click Apply
* Close the Nvidia Control Panel

348 Posts

January 8th, 2013 21:00

My advice would be push for a brand new machine. I would say with problems so early on, you'd be in a good position to push it.

I've said it 100x before, and I'm sure Dell love me for it, but Dell compensate like no one else, I call it bribery. Push for some upgrades on a new spec. I've only had 2 personal (as opposed to business) issues and both have been hard work, but both I was bribed erm compensated well which left me happy in the end.

No Events found!