Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2017 08:00

Nvidia Driver issues with graphics amp

Ok guys so I have been struggling with this gem here for a few days now. I recently received my replacement computer for my alienware 15 R3 that was constantly freezing and crashing over the last year. they upgraded me to the most recent system with the 7820hk and nvidia 1080gtx. The issue I am having is with the laptop un docked from the graphics amp I am able to install the latest nvidia driver 387.92. but when I dock with the graphics amp and close the laptop the desktop comes up but nvidia control panel will remove itself requiring me to restart the system to get it to come back. At this point the driver rolls back to an earlier version from this year which I did not install myself. The card in the amp is nvidia 1070. After this happens very few games actually launch and i am not able to install the newest driver because it will say it cannot find compatible hardware even though I can see both cards in device manager. Even stranger is when I undock and try and use as a laptop again it wont fully boot into windows and I have to boot into safe mode completely uninstall everything nvidia and then re install and boot back into windows normally for the computer to be able to work again... Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I currently am trying to do the process of editing one of the .INF files and forcing install of the newest drivers with the computer docked and hopefully that will work but I will continue to check back here for any info or updates. I need this computer to work with 3 monitors for work and school so if I am not able to get it resolved the computer is useless to me. Thank you all so much in advance!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 19th, 2017 10:00

Hi Japresto91‌,

Remember that the only driver you need to install is the one from the laptop, never the one from the amplifier. For troubleshooting, follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the Amplifier.

2. Uninstall all the NVIDIA graphics drivers. You can use Revo uninstaller to make sure is removed from Programs & Features, Registry files and your C Drive.

3. Install this 1080 driver as a clean install (select this option under custom install) and then install this amplifier driver (restart). 

4. Connect the Amplifier and if there is a request to reinstall the driver, reinstall the same 1080 driver that I gave you before (normal install).

Make sure you're setting up the amplifier in a proper way by following this video:

Alienware Graphics Amplifier: Setup - YouTube  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 19th, 2017 11:00

It is better if you install the latest video driver from our website since that one is the validated one. And yes, there is a driver for the amplifier, it is the one that I gave you on the previous post. 

13 Posts

I have tried several times to install the different drivers asked. I have full display on all 3 monitors as well I have disabled the intel video card in device manager. but upon booting connected to the graphics amp it installs an earlier version of the driver than what I have installed all on its own. and requires me to reboot. this is after doing a fresh install of windows installing all chipset and recommended drivers from dells website using the service tag.

13 Posts

Can I not install the latest clean install driver directly from Nvidia? And does the graphics amp need a driver to work? Many forum member mention installing a driver to make the amp show up and respond correctly in the command center 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 20th, 2017 11:00

Try the method suggested above. Otherwise, you may need to do a clean install of the OS.

6 Posts

November 15th, 2017 02:00

I'm having a similar issue, but I cannot play some newer games, because the driver is out of date. The link you are showing is for a driver that is even older than the one I have currently installed. Is there any way for us to get an updated driver, so I can still play newer games?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

November 15th, 2017 13:00

Hi ‌,

The one I posted is the last validated driver from our website, you can look for the latest one on the Nvidia website.

6 Posts

November 16th, 2017 03:00

Unfortunately, trying to install the drivers from Nvidia doesn't work. The installation will stop at hardware verification and state that it won't do a driver update on a Dell with a graphics amplifier. The driver that is available on Dell's website is even older than the one I currently have installed. Do we know when a newer version will be available through Dell? I had pre-ordered a game, but that game will now pop up and say that my drivers are out of date, and won't launch. And those of us that spent 200 dollars on a graphics amplifier, and additional money on a decent graphics card, are just out of luck until Dell puts out a new driver. I have a GTX 1070 in the GA, so it should be running the game fine, but I have driver version 385, and the game requires at least version 387. The one that is linked by you is version 376 and several versions old. When can we expect an updated driver that will be released by Dell? I hate to think that I spent $600 on a paperweight that should be able to run new games for a while.

No Events found!