Highlighted
markshaheen
3 Zinc

Official Dell position on Command Center and Windows 8.1

Jump to solution

I just got off the phone with tech support.

Dell official: We do NOT support Windows 8.1 and this is a known problem with command center.  If you wish your lights and command center  to continue working uninstall windows and revert to Windows 7 or Windows 8.  Do NOT install the 8.1 update.

2. We are working on an update to be release sometime in the future, no date estimated.

Mark
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Area 51 R2

Alienware 17 R3

Alienware - Area 51 R4

0 Kudos
21 Replies

RE: Official Dell position on Command Center and Windows 8.1

Jump to solution

I would be glad to look into that for you.

Could you please send me a PM with your service tag and contact details?

Thank you!

Alienware-Milena
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
markshaheen
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

I can PM you at 4 central, at work now.  Thank you FYI.

Mark
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Area 51 R2

Alienware 17 R3

Alienware - Area 51 R4

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

"We do NOT support Windows 8.1 and this is a known problem with command center."

That statement is both false and true. Let me break it down.

We do support Windows 8 and 8.1 on the following systems. Any Windows 8 or 8.1 Command Center issues raised on those models will be investigated.
X51-R2
X51-R1
Aurora-R4
Alienware 18-R1
Alienware 17-R1
Alienware 14-R1
M18x-R2
M17x-R4
M14x-R2

We do support Windows 8 but not Windows 8.1 on the following system. Any Windows 8.1 and Command Center issues raised on this model will be not investigated.
M11x-R3

We do not support Windows 8 or 8.1 on the following systems. Any Windows 8 or 8.1 and Command Center issues raised on those models will not be investigated.
Area-51
Aurora-R3
Aurora-R2
Aurora-R1
Aurora-ALX
M18x-R1
M17x-R3
M17x-R2
M17x-R1
M15x-R1
M14x-R1
M11x-R3
M11x-R2
M11x-R1

0 Kudos
markshaheen
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

I bought my Aurora R4, 2 months ago, Tech support informed me they do not officially support my machine and Windows 8.1.  I was told to revert my machine to either Win 7 or 8 and not progress to 8.1.  Thank you, please complete the survey and tell us how I did.

They were working on a command center patch and hope to have this issue resolved soon.

Now how do I revert to an only windows 8 install from the SSD drive image?

Mark
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Area 51 R2

Alienware 17 R3

Alienware - Area 51 R4

0 Kudos
racoutu
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with the R3 and Dell washed their hands on my computer only 3 months after I bought it. I will NEVER buy anything Dell or Alienware ever again till they fix the issues with their products. If I simple said at work that I am not going to support anything I sent out already I be fired Why is it acceptable for Dell to do this to its customers? I expect a answer from a Dell owner and not a copy past answer from a intern as in the past! The support has been horrible, customer service when you actually get a hold of someone typically bad. Never an answer or solution when it comes to the software they write other then we don't support the current OS which they said very shortly after I received my NEW computer! I will be surprised if we see any solutions to any of the current mounting issues from Dell/ Alienware! Smiley Mad

Alienware Aurora R3

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
  • Bios ALWARE - 1072009 (A06)
  • Memory 32gb ddr3-1800 ram
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1.24gb GDDR5
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64 bit
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

racoutu,

The Aurora-R3 Dell File Library only list Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit. That is all that we will support on that model.

Go here to read further on our Windows 8/8.1 policy.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

I bought my Aurora R4, 2 months ago, Tech support informed me they do not officially support my machine and Windows 8.1.  

They do now or soon. As long as machine is working, try to be patient and wait for updates and/or work-arounds.

Did machine originally come with Win8 installed?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
racoutu
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

So by your answer Dell does not support current OS and still claims to me a Microsoft partner?  I wish they would of told me when I asked at the time of purchase whether or not that was true they told me I had nothing to worry about, that dell and Alienware support the current OS's, that has been FARTHEST from the truth.I wish I could just return this and get my money back for a computer that is upgradeable.

Alienware Aurora R3

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
  • Bios ALWARE - 1072009 (A06)
  • Memory 32gb ddr3-1800 ram
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1.24gb GDDR5
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64 bit
0 Kudos
markshaheen
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

I got it with win8.  Looks like I need to do a clean install of 8, then 8.1 then install the drivers CC etc.

Mark
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Area 51 R2

Alienware 17 R3

Alienware - Area 51 R4

0 Kudos