Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 27th, 2013 08:00

Official Dell position on Command Center and Windows 8.1

I just got off the phone with tech support.

Dell official: We do NOT support Windows 8.1 and this is a known problem with command center.  If you wish your lights and command center  to continue working uninstall windows and revert to Windows 7 or Windows 8.  Do NOT install the 8.1 update.

2. We are working on an update to be release sometime in the future, no date estimated.

372 Posts

October 30th, 2013 17:00

I got it with win8.  Looks like I need to do a clean install of 8, then 8.1 then install the drivers CC etc.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 30th, 2013 18:00

I got it with win8.  Looks like I need to do a clean install of 8, then 8.1 then install the drivers CC etc.

Ya, but I suggest stopping at 8.0 until they release new CC (Win8.1 compatible).

Then, carefully upgrade CC (uninstall, re-install) get that working. then try v8.1 upgrade. Take plenty of full partition backup images at steps in-between.

• 

2.7K Posts

October 29th, 2013 09:00

I would be glad to look into that for you.

Could you please send me a PM with your service tag and contact details?

Thank you!

372 Posts

October 29th, 2013 11:00

I can PM you at 4 central, at work now.  Thank you FYI.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 29th, 2013 17:00

"We do NOT support Windows 8.1 and this is a known problem with command center."

That statement is both false and true. Let me break it down.

We do support Windows 8 and 8.1 on the following systems. Any Windows 8 or 8.1 Command Center issues raised on those models will be investigated.
X51-R2
X51-R1
Aurora-R4
Alienware 18-R1
Alienware 17-R1
Alienware 14-R1
M18x-R2
M17x-R4
M14x-R2

We do support Windows 8 but not Windows 8.1 on the following system. Any Windows 8.1 and Command Center issues raised on this model will be not investigated.
M11x-R3

We do not support Windows 8 or 8.1 on the following systems. Any Windows 8 or 8.1 and Command Center issues raised on those models will not be investigated.
Area-51
Aurora-R3
Aurora-R2
Aurora-R1
Aurora-ALX
M18x-R1
M17x-R3
M17x-R2
M17x-R1
M15x-R1
M14x-R1
M11x-R3
M11x-R2
M11x-R1

372 Posts

October 30th, 2013 06:00

I bought my Aurora R4, 2 months ago, Tech support informed me they do not officially support my machine and Windows 8.1.  I was told to revert my machine to either Win 7 or 8 and not progress to 8.1.  Thank you, please complete the survey and tell us how I did.

They were working on a command center patch and hope to have this issue resolved soon.

Now how do I revert to an only windows 8 install from the SSD drive image?

10 Posts

October 30th, 2013 08:00

I have the same issue with the R3 and Dell washed their hands on my computer only 3 months after I bought it. I will NEVER buy anything Dell or Alienware ever again till they fix the issues with their products. If I simple said at work that I am not going to support anything I sent out already I be fired Why is it acceptable for Dell to do this to its customers? I expect a answer from a Dell owner and not a copy past answer from a intern as in the past! The support has been horrible, customer service when you actually get a hold of someone typically bad. Never an answer or solution when it comes to the software they write other then we don't support the current OS which they said very shortly after I received my NEW computer! I will be surprised if we see any solutions to any of the current mounting issues from Dell/ Alienware! >:(

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 30th, 2013 12:00

I bought my Aurora R4, 2 months ago, Tech support informed me they do not officially support my machine and Windows 8.1.  

They do now or soon. As long as machine is working, try to be patient and wait for updates and/or work-arounds.

Did machine originally come with Win8 installed?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 30th, 2013 12:00

racoutu,

The Aurora-R3 Dell File Library only list Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit. That is all that we will support on that model.

Go here to read further on our Windows 8/8.1 policy.

10 Posts

October 30th, 2013 17:00

So by your answer Dell does not support current OS and still claims to me a Microsoft partner?  I wish they would of told me when I asked at the time of purchase whether or not that was true they told me I had nothing to worry about, that dell and Alienware support the current OS's, that has been FARTHEST from the truth.I wish I could just return this and get my money back for a computer that is upgradeable.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 30th, 2013 18:00

So by your answer Dell does not support current OS and still claims to me a Microsoft partner?  I wish they would of told me when I asked at the time of purchase weather or not that was true they told me I had nothing to worry about, that dell and Alienware support the current OS's, that has been FARTHEST from the truth. I wish I could just return this and get my money back for a computer that is upgradeable

So you have a Aurora R3, shipped with Win7-64, right? Some reason you like Win8 better?

Not meaning to take Dell's side here, but manufacturers (even HP, Lenovo, etc.) normally only support the version of Windows that shipped on machine.

However, just because they don't officially support it, doesn't mean it won't work. There is no hardware in that machine that is particularly unique or non-Win8 compatible (except MIO-Board which will get worked out eventually).

10 Posts

October 31st, 2013 18:00

So by your answer Dell does not support current OS and still claims to me a Microsoft partner?  I wish they would of told me when I asked at the time of purchase weather or not that was true they told me I had nothing to worry about, that dell and Alienware support the current OS's, that has been FARTHEST from the truth. I wish I could just return this and get my money back for a computer that is upgradeable

So you have a Aurora R3, shipped with Win7-64, right? Some reason you like Win8 better?

Not meaning to take Dell's side here, but manufacturers (even HP, Lenovo, etc.) normally only support the version of Windows that shipped on machine.

However, just because they don't officially support it, doesn't mean it won't work. There is no hardware in that machine that is particularly unique or non-Win8 compatible (except MIO-Board which will get worked out eventually).

Will they address any of the issues with the R3?  I notice it have been over a year and half since the last of any update at all for that model regardless of the OS which they never supported any other OS then the one it came with.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 31st, 2013 19:00

Will they address any of the issues with the R3?  I notice it have been over a year and half since the last of any update at all for that model regardless of the OS which they never supported any other OS then the one it came with.

You still have the Dell-AW OEM Win7-64 license. Why not setup a Dual-Boot ... if only for trouble-shooting the hardware.

When machine is running Win7-64, what issues are you having?

31 Posts

November 4th, 2013 04:00

Hi Chris,

Although you have said that Dell supports 8.1 for Aurora R4

For a week I have been trying to get european tech support to help me resolve this issue and they are refusing to do so. They are saying I should do a factory install and revert to Windows 8.

I do not think it is fair to blame customers to upgrading to windows 8.1 and as a microsoft partner, Dell should be testing its systems for full compatibility for windows 8.1

I am waiting to hear back from customer escalation. If their answer is not satisfactory I am going to write a letter to have to escalate things myself.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 4th, 2013 14:00

For those of you with:

Aurora R4 with Windows 8.1 ... By either upgrade or clean-install (with all current drivers loaded on top).

Have you tried this?

DO NOT install latest (Windows 8.0 compatible or better) Command Center. Or, Uninstall whatever version you have installed and reboot.

Turn OFF Win8 Fast-Startup

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

Reboot

Install latest Command Center for Desktops (now 3.5.x)

Reboot

Check operation. Leave Fast-Startup OFF.

Also, if upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 ... I would be tempted to try:

Uninstalling Command Center

Run one last Windows Update and then reboot

Upgrade from Win 8.0 to 8.1

Run Windows Update and then reboot

Turn OFF Win8 Fast-Startup and reboot.

Install latest Command Center.

No Events found!