Highlighted
BobRendari
Bronze

Old HDD's in Aurora R4 drive bays becoming hot !

Hello everyone I came across some old HDD's that fit the drive bays in the Aurora R4 but I am noticIng they both become quite hot ! Not to the point I cannot hold them but close ! This while the HDD that came with the Aurora remains cool to the touch. Are there dangers here that these HDD's get damaged ? One is from a Dell Dimension 8400 and the other from a Inspiron 545.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
beamermt79
Diamond

RE: Old HDD's in Aurora R4 drive bays becoming hot !

Hmm.. I doubt there is anything wrong, it could be just the drives being 'old'.  HDDs do warm up when in use and some drives handle it better then others.  

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
Diamond

Hello everyone I came across some old HDD's that fit the drive bays in the Aurora R4 but I am noticIng they both become quite hot ! Not to the point I cannot hold them but close ! This while the HDD that came with the Aurora remains cool to the touch. Are there dangers here that these HDD's get damaged ? One is from a Dell Dimension 8400 and the other from a Inspiron 545.

I suggest you switch Thermal Controller to Manual and setup a better Curve for HDD cage.

Yes, they will crash or just turn-off if they get too hot.

Have you checked HDD Fan? Have you cleaned-out case and fans of dust lately?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Gaming when I'm not programming.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

Keep your Device-Manager clean and Driver-Installs lean.
0 Kudos
Tesla1856
Diamond

Hmm.. I doubt there is anything wrong, it could be just the drives being 'old'.  HDDs do warm up when in use and some drives handle it better then others.  

Seeing the same here. Some older 7200rpm drives ... seems the thermals change as they get older.

I thought they were bad (and I pulled them from machines ... I take no chances) because they heat-up and turn-off/reset under moderate use. However, if I put them in an enclosure with a fan, they stay acceptably cool and work fine (even under heavy extended testing).

Both Crystal DiskInfo and Passmark DiskCheckup (a nice recent find) say they are fine. It’s Short and Extended Self-Tests should find any problems. SMART is finally paying off.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Gaming when I'm not programming.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

Keep your Device-Manager clean and Driver-Installs lean.
0 Kudos